*OFFICIAL* 16G Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I know I've had numerous threads in all different sections of this forum but I've decided to create an all new one since I decided what I'm doing with this tank. So for those of you that don't know what this tank is all about, here it is.
16G Bowfront
Coralife Mini 11" T5 light 12W total
Whisper 20 filter(soon to be a skilter 250)
50w heater
10lbs cured live rock
5lbs Reef Ready live rock
Live sand

2 days ago my cycle has finished and I'm starting to add my CUC. So far I have 1 hermit crab, planning on getting another crab tonight and a snail or 2.

Eventually I'll be getting fish and then eventually soft corals.

What would YOU stock this tank with? Fish wise? Coral wise? Personal favorites? Easiest to care for?

Would love peoples feedback on this! Thanks in advance!

Just looking on LiveAquaria and here's some compatible fish I could have
Tanakas pygmy wrasse
Court jester goby
Clown goby
Green banded goby
Hectors goby
Orange spotted goby
Firefish
Clown(I know min 20G, but I like them lol)

Someone also said I could have corals like shrooms, zoas, hammer, torch, frogsprawn.

Let me know what would be best!

No one wants to chime in?? Lol I just added some more CUC guys so now I have 2 hermit crabs and 6 lil snails :)

Heres what i would do cuz with a tank that size you wont be able to have that many fish, so i'd go for colorful ones to make tank interesting

LOVE that Pygmy wrasse!! Lots of color! I would do either the court jester or Hector's goby.

Purple or red/white fire fish- colorful AND cute :)

That's just what I would pick. The clown's up to you, tank seems little smallish for it, but again- its your tank. :)

Beengirl said:
Heres what i would do cuz with a tank that size you wont be able to have that many fish, so i'd go for colorful ones to make tank interesting

LOVE that Pygmy wrasse!! Lots of color! I would do either the court jester or Hector's goby.

Purple or red/white fire fish- colorful AND cute :)

That's just what I would pick. The clown's up to you, tank seems little smallish for it, but again- its your tank. :)

Yeah I really like the pygmy wrasse too!! Except on LiveAquaria he's about $50 lol the court jester I've always liked since the moment I read about them :) and well the clown.. is for my gf lol one of the reasons she's allowing me to do this SW tank lol

And guys at my LFS said that I CANT do hammer/torch/frogsprawn corals so disregard that

DanS180 said:
Yeah I really like the pygmy wrasse too!! Except on LiveAquaria he's about $50 lol the court jester I've always liked since the moment I read about them :) and well the clown.. is for my gf lol one of the reasons she's allowing me to do this SW tank lol

And guys at my LFS said that I CANT do hammer/torch/frogsprawn corals so disregard that

I love my rainfords goby but you will want to wait til your tank has enough growth to get him cause honestly I don't think mine has ate anything I've put in the tank and was super skinny at the lfs. Now after a couple months he's a fat lil goby lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120817_075737.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_075737.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 137
  • ForumRunner_20120817_075801.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120817_075801.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 136
Mrc8858 said:
I love my rainfords goby but you will want to wait til your tank has enough growth to get him cause honestly I don't think mine has ate anything I've put in the tank and was super skinny at the lfs. Now after a couple months he's a fat lil goby lol

Ahh he's so cute!! Haha yeah well I'm gonna wait a few weeks until I add any fish.. like I said right now I just have a CUC. Gonna see how they do in the next few weeks, if none die, then I'll start to add a fish at a time.. then eventually a peppermint shrimp or a pistol shrimp(bc I heard they're very sensitive and need an established tank)

What would you guys feed to a CUC if there's not much or anything at all to clean up? I threw in a pinch of flakes yesterday to just let em fall to the bottom

Nu-Nu the eel said:
The cuc will eat watever your fish dont :eek:

There's no fish in there at the moment so its just a newly cycled tank with 2 hermits and 6 snails lol

Depending on what kind of snails they are you may see some starve in a new tank but the hermits will eat pretty much anything edible including your snails so make sure they are finding food or else they'll take out the snails. Mine seem to favor mysis shrimp over anything else.

Mrc8858 said:
Depending on what kind of snails they are you may see some starve in a new tank but the hermits will eat pretty much anything edible including your snails so make sure they are finding food or else they'll take out the snails. Mine seem to favor mysis shrimp over anything else.

Ok so what do u recommend I do? Go get mysis shrimp? And if so, is there a specific way to feed them or just throw the food in there?

And I forget what the name was of the snails but I'm pretty sure they're name starts with an "N".. lol cheap little snails

scottayy said:
No pictures? :p
Nassarius

I know I'm slacking haha and yes that's them! Lol nassarius snails :)

When I get home tonight I'm gonna check my parameters, then probably rearrange my LR to make a column in the middle of the tank(hopefully). I'll try n snap a few pics and upload them later tonight :)

Well nassarius like meaty foods so they'll be easy to feed but I've found these to be the first casualties from hermits. Id just drop a little mysis in every few days. Trust me they'll find it lol

Mrc8858 said:
Well nassarius like meaty foods so they'll be easy to feed but I've found these to be the first casualties from hermits. Id just drop a little mysis in every few days. Trust me they'll find it lol

Sounds good haha now I think I saw mysis shrimp in cubes at my LFS, would that be okay? Or is there a specific kind you'd recommend?

That's what I buy is the frozen cubes. Your obviously not gonna need much so I would cut a little piece off and put it in a baggy or something and stick it back in the freezer if you don't wanna waste 9/10 of your cube.

Mrc8858 said:
That's what I buy is the frozen cubes. Your obviously not gonna need much so I would cut a little piece off and put it in a baggy or something and stick it back in the freezer if you don't wanna waste 9/10 of your cube.

Ah gotcha, okay then I'll go get some mysis shrimp after work today :)

I just found a 20" Odyssea T5 HO 4 bulb setup on Craigslist for $40.. just waiting for the person to get back to me and if its available, I'm snatchin that. Then id be able to do the corals I really wanna do :)

Back
Top Bottom