Oh great... aiptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jon05r

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm doing my daily inspection of my tank and come to realize I have a few hitchhikers on a couple of my corals... aiptasia! I immediately jumped online to find solutions to the pests and decided to go the biological route. The two most attractive solutions seem to be Berghia Nudibranchs and peppermint shrimp. Can anyone weigh in with their experience/suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peppermint shrimps are hit or miss, some will chow down on apitasia, some don't go near it. Nudi's aren't a good option cuz that's the ONLY thing they eat, as in, once it eats the few you have, it will starve to death. Really, the easiest thing is to get a syringe and needle, either get some Aptasia-X or boil some lemon juice and shoot it in the mouth with the stuff. The Apitasia-x comes with the syringe and needle. I've had to use it twice on two that I also got on a coral, and it was easy and quick and killed it good. :)

Beengirl said:
Peppermint shrimps are hit or miss, some will chow down on apitasia, some don't go near it. Nudi's aren't a good option cuz that's the ONLY thing they eat, as in, once it eats the few you have, it will starve to death. Really, the easiest thing is to get a syringe and needle, either get some Aptasia-X or boil some lemon juice and shoot it in the mouth with the stuff. The Apitasia-x comes with the syringe and needle. I've had to use it twice on two that I also got on a coral, and it was easy and quick and killed it good. :)

Thanks for the advice, Beengirl! I'll check my LFS for Aiptasia-X this week.

Yeah I agree aiptasia x is awesome! Killed them straight away, they emplode on themselves. I would turn all your pumps and powerheads off when you do it though.

Beengirl said:

Wizard4s said:
Yeah I agree aiptasia x is awesome! Killed them straight away, they emplode on themselves. I would turn all your pumps and powerheads off when you do it though.

+1 I had 15 or so and aiptasia Xtook care of them in minutes

Picked up some Aiptasia-X today. Doused the ones I was able to find. We'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone.

If the same ones come back, then get them again, but make sure you squirt the stuff right into its mouth. Hope it doesn't come back though!!

Aphasia x is good but I'd borrow a friends copperband butterfly for sure. Does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom