one VERY cool snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misskeeter2766

Aquarium Advice Freak
bought the most awesome snail today... she called it a Buschi snail... I can't find it anywhere on the internet, so I wonder if they had it spelled incorrectly or named incorrectly...
it is SO pretty .. the bottom of it's "foot?" is white, but the top and the head are dark purple/black.. it has yellow hairy things poking out at the sides.. the shell is spiraled with green and purple... it moves SOOO fast... is super sticky.. and leaves swirly patterns when it moves in the sand....

(no Im not the kind of person to buy stuff without researching first, but I figured it was a SNAIL.. lol.. and it was munching away on some algae at the store.... )

anyone else have any of these?

Good Luck :) I don't know what kind of snail it is, but I know that some snails will take out your other snails if its easier to get them than search for food. I hope its not the case for the one you found. It sounds pretty neat! how much did it set you back?
Ok, I think I found it actually
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/243852/product.web

Busycon canaliculatum "Lightning Whelk"

yeap, that's the one that ate all of my clams!

nope... that's not it... :)
I think its a type of astrea... It is obviously an algae eater... done nothing but munch on the algae on the glass... its pretty good at it too

27977-albums880-picture6415.jpg

27977-albums880-picture6416.jpg

Oh, you'll have to get a body picture of it like you first described it. Yeah that looks like a regular snail...

lol... trochus were what I wanted... LOL they told me they didn't have them and didnt know what they were.

lol... trochus were what I wanted... LOL they told me they didn't have them and didnt know what they were.

That's too funny!

I've always had some in my tank, and that picture of it flipped over in your hand leaves absolutely no doubt in my mind that's what it is. Better go get more before they figure out what they have!

this was the only one they have or I would have bought more. :( ...
also got a margarita snail (probably spelled that wrong)

the problem with "margarita snails" is that they need cooler waters and more then likely with not survive long. You are going to need at least 10 more snails in that size tank. Look around and when you see a good deal pick up a few more trochus or nirite snails.

the problem with "margarita snails" is that they need cooler waters and more then likely with not survive long. You are going to need at least 10 more snails in that size tank. Look around and when you see a good deal pick up a few more trochus or nirite snails.
.. ah.. well I have 12 cerith snails, 15 nassa snails, 1 blueleg hermit, 1 emerald crab, and 2 scarlet reef hermits.... (in addition to the two snails I picked up the other day)...

do you think I need even more than that???

lol... I wouldnt say pristine... I do drop a few pieces of food down for the nassas and an algae sheet twice a week for the others... :) the sheet is gone overnight

Back
Top Bottom