Open top nano reef compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattoid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
Looking for reef safe ocellaris compatible fish not known as jumpers.

30g open top reef with sand bottom (24x18x18"). Still got plenty of room for corals so don't want coral choice to be limited.

My research suggests these as options based on: tank size, live rock with plenty of hidey holes, and lots of open swim space:

- Chalk bass 1, 2 or 3 of them?;
- 3 Banggai cardinals; or
- 3 Pyjama cardinals

Are any of these known to jump? Can Chalk Bass be aggressive? I just have the 2 ocellaris with a couple of micro hermit crabs, a trochus snail and a strombus snail.

I like the idea of a bicolour dotty back but I understand that these can be aggressive and likely to jump.

Thanks in advance...

almost every narrow bodied fish would be a jumper

Thanks.

I suppose I'm after peoples experience specifically with these particular species with reference to amount of actual jumping experienced, but also in deference to the least likely to affect the ocellaris as I am very keen on a peaceful tank. Would clowns fit the definition of narrow bodied being laterally narrow?

I'm going to assume that my best option is to 'suck it and see' by choosing species as per what internet sites have suggested, previous posts on AA, that I have been able to find, and what my LFS suggests. Just keen to get as much specific information from first hand experience advice before purchase.

While not a nano I have an open top 40 breeder and my banggai has never even glanced the surface or looked like he'd jump. I had a royal gramma jump so the chalk bass could definitely jump. Most gobies and blennies are jumpers as well.

There are a few options, I have read about people using a few creative ideas for tops with inset "screen" so it doesn't look much like there is a top on the tank. To keep the rimless type look.

I use clear plastic/acrylic little clips that hang the acrylic fits inside the tank. I moved my filter and it now doesn't fit the acrylic which was custom cut to the filter, or so I would show you how it looks.

Here is one brand/example below. Mine came with the set up so I can't say for sure what brand they are.
Innovative Marine Lid Clips for Rimless Aquariums

Last edited:
Thanks Autumnsky. I actually have some of these that i don't use from a few other tanks. I stopped using them on my FW tanks with glass as the light penetration was hindered due to condensation and dust etc. Lights weren't fantastic

- FW Ecotech radion (no issue with marine, but FW version is medium light at best with my tanks) on a 45cm cube

- Zetlight nano on 30cm cube

- Unknown brand (petworx?) full spectrum on 30cm cube

Didn't try with the maxspect razor, but I don't think that would've been an issue...

I've got an AI Prime HD, being a single cluster on a 45cm deep raised higher to get the spread over the 2' length, and not running at full wattage in order to get the spectrum I want, I'm concerned that anything between the light and the corals won't be beneficial... I'm potentially way off with this, but with FW it has been an issue.

I might just be being stubborn, but I'm keen on no screen at all, and I suppose if it means less fish and I stay with the clowns only, that would be my loss for being a stubborn bugger...[emoji55]

I very much appreciate the suggestion, and I may well try it down the track after a few months of frustration to see how it all fares.

Back
Top Bottom