Paint my snails ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaceFace

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got 2 snails for my saltwater tank. i wanted to paint them with nail polish. i figured i would put a little bit of salt water at the bottom of a container but let the shell stick out on the top so i could paint them. then let them dry and maybe keep them seperate for a little. idk what do you think? what about my fishies ??

:confused:

not a good idea, painting the snails could contaminate them with toxic chemicals that could kill them and anything in the tank their in. Also, letting them dry out would kill them.

yeah thats why i would put water at the bottom of the container so they wouldnt dry out.
but uhmm idk i talked to someone who said they had done it before and they put the snail in a separate place for 2 days and then put it back.

It still isn't a good thing to do. One day the paint could flake off and a fish could eat it and die. It just isn't a good to do for an aquarium or other animal life, especially saltwater animals.

Yeah I don't recommend it. Just a take a look at the stuff that goes into nail polish with all the long names and one word comes to my mind. Bad. Your snail shells should get covered with a thin layer of algae anyway. :)

I would just go to a hobby craft shop and buy some really nice shells and let the hermits take over those. Some of shells I see at " Ben Franklin" shops are very colorful and would stand out just as well as a painted one would.

Uhm, i'm definitely going with joy13 on this one. Why would you want to paint the snails?? Don't they look nice already?

Okay... understood!
but nail polish is not the answer...
trust me... I'm a 17 year old teenage girl, and I've got tons of nutty ideas, as well as odd preferences too! But please do not paint them with ANYTHING, it will harm your nails, your hermit crabs, your cute little clown, the whole...shebang....

Take them back, if at all possible, and tell your dad they died or something when and if he notices..
Or just accept them and their unique shells! Don't kill them by the toxins in nail polish just because they're ugly!!!
PLEASE...!

No snail painting. But like thin cat said and kurt nelson said nay to(not really just cause of the thread), your hermits love dressing up. Put fancy shells in there and watch them fight for them. Don't paint your snails. Listen to the 17 year old.

Don't tell their Mother that(they are ugly)!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom