Picking Out a Nano Tank for My Son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now it's sitting in my office. He'll find it if I try to hide it in the house. Although I did manage to hide a fully-assembled air hockey table from him years ago. Maybe in his room; he'd never find it in that mess!

What a great idea!! I could do that with both of my kids......I told them when they move out I'm just going to cut that end of the house off and burn it. LOL! :p

Good idea! He keeps the door closed most of the time to keep the mess from spilling into the hall. Gotta clean it before Christmas company comes on Wed. Anybody got half a day to spare?

I ended up keeping the tank in my office until the day before Christmas, but tore the picture off the front of the box. When I brought it home I had my son help me carry it to the basement - told him it was for his cousin. And he believed me! Ha! His expression Christmas morning was great!!!

Anyway, we set it up, put water in it yesterday, and are ready to start adding salt, sand, and LR. I'll post pics soon.

What a great idea!! I could do that with both of my kids......I told them when they move out I'm just going to cut that end of the house off and burn it. LOL! :p

Why are parents always so mean to their kids about the state of their rooms? I bet you were all the same!
(Yes I have a messy room. That's why my tank is there, to distract from the room. :D)

Why are parents always so mean to their kids about the state of their rooms? I bet you were all the same!
(Yes I have a messy room. That's why my tank is there, to distract from the room. :D)
Oh I am not mean I just hide my son's car key in his room for a month and a half when he was about 16. They were on the FLOOR in front of his bed.

Actually, since he lost his iPod (on the floor in his room), he's been doing a nice job keeping the room as neat as can be expected.

Update

Okay, salt is in and so is sand. We're waiting for the dust to settle and water to clear, then I'll order the LR.

Blue Lights.jpg White Lights.jpg

I have to figure out a better way to get power to it other than the "power strip and extension cord" system now in place. I'm thinking a hole in the wall and run the extension cord to the outlet in the laundry room. (My wife/his mom has been very understanding about the current setup but that won't last much longer :cool:.)

He says he wants to go FOWLR for now, then turn it into a nano reef later when he gets the hang of taking care of it. (Although I guess 28g is technically too big for a nano.) Any thoughts on stocking it? (He still wants an eel.) Thanks.

Get some nice smaller Wrasses if your gonna go FOWLR cause a lot aren't RS. Also (and I know I suggest em to everyone :rolleyes:) Chromis' are a great starter fish. Hardy, look good bluey-greeny under the lights and are very peaceful.

A single clown. Occelaris (sp?) or percula. One yellow or green clown blenny. One bi-color blenny. And a smaller goby - maybe a rainford, firefish (I love the purple, but they're more expensive), or shrimp goby (no pistol shrimp absolutely required - but heck, why not? Just ensure the rock is planted on the bottom glass, not just on the sand). Then add 3-5 hermits, a handful of snails, and a cleaner shrimp. Or maybe even one of the smaller Coral Banded Shrimp.

Then again, that's prolly not exciting enuf for someone that wants an eel, huh?

"I have to figure out a better way to get power to it other than the "power strip and extension cord" system now in place. I'm thinking a hole in the wall and run the extension cord to the outlet in the laundry room. (My wife/his mom has been very understanding about the current setup but that won't last much longer :cool:.)"
I'm not a fan of running an Aquarium on an extension cord. I've read to many horror stories about fires. Is there an outlet on the opposite side of the wall that the Aq. is on?

It is not as hard as you might think to put an outlet in the wall. You would be better off. Great tank choice btw.

Yup, definitely keep us posted. This looks like it's going to be fun for you both! Only thing about the extension cords is that you should keep them elevated if in fact you have to use them and cant put an outlet in the wall or just don't want to. If you keep it elevated that creates something called a drip loop. If water should ever drip down the wire, it won't be able to reach the outlets on the extension cord because last time i checked, water doesn't climb up lol!

Unfortunately there is no eel in SW that will survive in a 28G tank. At least none of which have been discovered yet lol. But i haz good news. The closest thing i've found to something that looks like an eel is a Yellow Stripe Clingfish.
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Stripe Clingfish

I mean.. it sortof looks like an eel, and can be in tanks at 10G minimum so it would definitely work in a 28G. Idk.. check it out, maybe he will like it?

Back
Top Bottom