Pico is crashing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, my tank sitter overfed my one damsel. I get home from a 4day vacation and everything in my tank is shriveled and looking poor. Ammonia is at 4.0, nitrites are 2.0 nitrates are 40. Im going to vac the tank and do a water change but I believe its too late....no more trips for me.

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully you can turn it around with some big water changes. For future reference though if you going on a short trip. (Less than a week) you really don't have to worry about feeding your fish. They would be ok.

I give him 3 or 4 pellets a day. He must have dropped the container of food into the tank. I have globs of pellets surrounded with slime all over the tank. My 2 shrimp are dead and turbo snail is done too. I think I will have to take it apart to get all the dead stuff out......uuuugh.

That is horrible!! You poor thing... IMHO you should empty and clean, all things considered (pico) with, preferably, some good clean ro/di or distilled water. Nano and Pico tanks are my personal faves, but because of their sizes it's hard to get them cycled (impossible without some sort of instant cycle/ used bb colonized filter media or substrate, or stabilizer with nitrifying bacteria).
Best of luck on this one!! Good people do good things for animals... Thank you

I am going to spend my hew years day tearing down my little tank. Dont see any way around it. I have never had a problem cycling my picos...hate using additive instant fix chemicals as there always seems to be a price to pay down the line...The only way is to give it sufficient time to do its thing! Happy New Year!

I am going to spend my hew years day tearing down my little tank. Dont see any way around it. I have never had a problem cycling my picos...hate using additive instant fix chemicals as there always seems to be a price to pay down the line...The only way is to give it sufficient time to do its thing! Happy New Year!

I'm not talking instant fix chemicals, more like a jumpstart of the bb colonizing, which will still take a long time, and be a pain in the butt!! My faves are Seachem Stability or Nutrafin cycle in combination with a Marcyn nitrifying cut to fit biofilter. Seems to work perfect on my small tanks (2 2.5g, 1 1g and both of my 10g). Just trying to help!! Good luck once again

Back
Top Bottom