Pico tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently building a 220 gallon, but I keep catching myself looking at these rimless pico tanks, but I want to know are they really difficult to keep? I know that without the water volume, there is little room for error, but what do you typically use for filtering? Wouldn't most aquarium lights fry corals in a tank that shallow, I know you would have to elevate the light above the tank, but is there a lot of trial and error to figure out how high above the tank? I know it is a lot to ask and there is no one size fits all, but I am interested in peoples experiences.

Just found a fluval chi brand new on Craigslist for 40 bucks, still in the box. I may buy this just to set aside as a side project later, just don't tell my wife. lol

Which chi is it?? the 5 gallon or the taller one (i think it's just under 7 gallon)?

You will love it either way! You should pick out some smaller pieces of live rock that will look nice in the chi and cycle it with your 220. Then when you are ready to set it up there will be little to no cycle since the rock will be cured already.

Good point about the cycle, I am going with the 5 gallon. Got it for 20 bucks off of Craigslist, guy won it at a fair and posted it, still in the box. lol

I am just buying it because it is so cheap and I can set it aside and forget about it for a little while. I may set it up in my son's room.

Yah that is a great deal!! I would have taken it for sure! They really are nice little tanks, I was thinking of getting another to start up a freshwater but not for awhile, gotta get the saltwater one a little more complete first haha.

Now that Kelsey has bought and has a PAR38, we realize there is a bit of a cheaper, but still amazing LED idea for the chi which Jen and I may implement ourselves.

BoostLED

Literally the same thing but smaller and a bit less powerful, a PAR30, these guys are one of the few I've seen come out with one, great color selection as well.

IMO, an AC20 would look great on it, or if you want a real AIO look this would look awesome inside: Aquarium Filters & Water Quality: Current SubCurrent Internal Wet/Dry Filter

I'll be on deck to follow this deal. Only one thing I can advise you about, keep it topped off, if you're gonna have an ATO on the 220 maybe you can DIY it to have this hooked into it, that'd save you some effort for sure

Thanks for the input guys. I didn't plan on an auto top off for the 220 right now, I am getting near my budget as is. I won't be building the chi for awhile, but I definitely want to build a pico reef now. Really unique tanks.

I already sold it, but I bought Fluval Edge for 50 bucks. I have a "build thread" for it, but right now all my money is tied up on the 220, so I won't be building the nano for awhile. "rofl:

Back
Top Bottom