Piece together or all in one Nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryFatKidGT

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've wanted to do a SW tank for a while and I know smaller ones are harder to keep but at the same time I would like a tank in my room. What I'm wondering is are all these all in one nano tanks (Biocube, JBJ, Marine Inovations, Fluval) really that great?

First, what is it about SW that makes it require a sump? When I was looking into SW all I was told was sump sump sump overflow sump, get at least a 55/75 so it can be drilled so you can run a sump... sump sump sump.

All of these nano tanks come with a built in filter in the back but not really a sump, but they are all focused on SW, are the built in filters really that good? Why wouldn't just a large HOB work? Like 99% of these tanks are meant for SW there are hardly any FW ones and even the ones that are like Fluvals don't have the filters and come with a canister underneath. Whats so great about the built in filters for SW but not for FW?

The largest tank I would like is the 29g Biocube, no larger. I love the Biocube's curved glass but don't like the enclosed top, I would prefer rimless or a more open design.

I think I could get away with a pretty small tank like a 20L or a small cube and then run like a 10g sump? Does that sound like a good idea?

I like to say that if you are relatively new to the hobby to go with the all in ones....If you have a tank or two under your belt you may find it better to piece one together. If you are short room though and want simple with no high light demanding corals then the all in one is perfect for you. :)

I too would agree on the all in one for a SW first timer. Although with some, you may want to upgrade some components right from the start. With those having tops, I think it's a gift really. 1-helps to control evap rates better than open tops, 2-less worry about fish suicide. I started with a BioCube 14 and love it. I did add a small power head for the corals which was a great investment. I am in the process of putting together a 40b. I think the biggest thing about sump recommendations is twofold as well. Allows a place to keep equipment and adds total water volume to help maintain parameters easier.

As to why not using one of these in a FW application, I honestly don't have an answer of "why not" but feel it could be done without issues. Perhaps it was just geared more towards the SW side of the hobby for a more concise method of getting folks into SW keeping without the stresses of all kinds of "extras" needed. Call it a marketing ploy ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I like to say that if you are relatively new to the hobby to go with the all in ones....If you have a tank or two under your belt you may find it better to piece one together. If you are short room though and want simple with no high light demanding corals then the all in one is perfect for you. :)

I too would agree on the all in one for a SW first timer. Although with some, you may want to upgrade some components right from the start. With those having tops, I think it's a gift really. 1-helps to control evap rates better than open tops, 2-less worry about fish suicide. I started with a BioCube 14 and love it. I did add a small power head for the corals which was a great investment. I am in the process of putting together a 40b. I think the biggest thing about sump recommendations is twofold as well. Allows a place to keep equipment and adds total water volume to help maintain parameters easier.

As to why not using one of these in a FW application, I honestly don't have an answer of "why not" but feel it could be done without issues. Perhaps it was just geared more towards the SW side of the hobby for a more concise method of getting folks into SW keeping without the stresses of all kinds of "extras" needed. Call it a marketing ploy ??

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!
I have 2 FW tanks including a 150g.

I was more wondering about the built in filters in the back, like why does Fluval (like everyone else) put a built in filter in there SW M series tanks and then for the FW F series its just a tank and they include a X06 canister underneath?

Piecing it together just gives me more options like I could just throw a 406 on like a 20g and then I probably wouldn't even need a powerhead. I do however like how a lot of the all-in-one SW tanks look, the Fluval M40 and M60, the JBJ 30 rimless, the Invoative Marine tanks.

Thats the differance between the Innovative marine 16g nano and 20g? And do they not make the 30g anymore?

I purchased the Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 in December . I have been very happy so far, having it all built in makes it easier for a newbie like myself. I recently added the spin stream out flow heads to change the outflow patter a bit. The tank is very well built, and when I had an issue with one of the LED light brackets cracking, they sent me a new one within days. I would recommend them as a great starter AIO.

I purchased the Innovative Marine Nuvo 20 in December . I have been very happy so far, having it all built in makes it easier for a newbie like myself. I recently added the spin stream out flow heads to change the outflow patter a bit. The tank is very well built, and when I had an issue with one of the LED light brackets cracking, they sent me a new one within days. I would recommend them as a great starter AIO.
What influenced your purchase of that over other ones? Did you get there SKY lights with it?

As a complete noob, I relied on the help of the people at OLD Town aquarium in Chicago. They helped me navigate the waters on the AIO tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I like the jbj 30 rl mor than innovative. It has 2 returns and a better footprint. I believe it is cheaper too.

Also. Those Skye lights don't really seem powerful enough imo. I have the innovative dual strip on my 30, very nice and adjustable

I like the jbj 30 rl mor than innovative. It has 2 returns and a better footprint. I believe it is cheaper too.

Yeah they don't make the 24, 30 or 38 anymore and I wanted those because of the rounded corners so I'm looking at the JBJ 30 or 45, can't decide... or the Marineland 45g rimless cube.

Also. Those Skye lights don't really seem powerful enough imo. I have the innovative dual strip on my 30, very nice and adjustable

Idk I really like how they look vs putting a bar strip across the tank

My friend has the sky lights and can't get the best coral growth. Grows a lot of algae and isn't adjustable. They won't work on the jbj tanks because of depth and the way they hook up. I don't think they would reach out far enough. Maybe a kessil:)

Back
Top Bottom