pistol shrimp.... typical.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misskeeter2766

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yep... worked SOOO carefully to get the water back to decent... (4 water changes in small amounts since yesterday... trying to match the pH, temp, and salinity perfectly.... ) ... got it back to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.. with higher than I'd like nitrates... but way way better than that 5.0 nonsense...

decided to put the pistol shrimp in the display cause I just didn't trust the QT tank... drip acclimated him for 2+ hours.... released him... and my 20 dollar shrimp went and found himself a nice cave in the VERY back middle of the tank.... typical. he has already dug himself a nice deep hole, and I expect he is there for the duration...

I'd really not like my yellow watchman goby to end up back there too... so... any tips for when I transfer him?? or any tips on how to maybe entice the pistol shrimp to come back from the dark side... (literally)

and yes.. I know that while the odds are in my favor that the shrimp and goby will pair up, it may never happen.. Im fine with that... I just want to be able to see them both at times.. LOL

Good luck. Maybe when he realizes food falls in the front of the tank, he'll move. Still, after only a few hours, I'd think he MAY find another home or three before he settles down. That hole in the back may just end up being his back door. Mine had three doors. Front, back, and side.

oh that might be nice.. his cave actually connects to an opening front and center.. below where my feather duster decided to back himself in... LOL..
everything that can move in my tank likes to hide away.

I only know I have a pistol because his burrow is along side the glass on the side of the tank. I can see movement at night after lights out, tho I've never seen it fully out. I have heard it on ocasion.

I should have taken his picture before I released him... I may never see those cute blue legs again...

Pistol shrimp are pretty awesome creatures. My tiger must have made tons of burrows because he was popping out of so many holes throughout the length of my rock structure, and my tank was 4ft long. I tell you though.. when i had to take the tank down.. it was a real pain trying to find him. Like cmor said, you're most likely going to hear him way more often than you will see him. However, i usually had luck catching a glimpse of him whenever i turned my lights on in the morning. As soon as i turned them on, he stopped what he was doing and rushed back to his tunnels. So look around your entire tank real quick after you put your lights on and you may just get lucky.

its so funny that I'm so into my inverts... I did not expect to want anything more than snails, but my ich outbreak and having to leave my tank fishless caused me to look into it more.. now I'm obsessed... especially with shrimp

Back
Top Bottom