Pom pom crab - new inhabitant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well good I am really having a hard time with getting a grasp of the coral like how close they can b put together how to keep them under control once they start growing ect.....

You can always ask questions here! Many corals can be packed relatively closely to one another, but soem of them (many of the LPS) can sting and need to be placed a larger distance from others like softies.

I'm a coral guy too but royal grammas are fantastic!

I've always thought they were cool fish :) my LFS has an amazing 40b with two of these guys, a male and a female - they're so fun to watch.

I've always thought they were cool fish :) my LFS has an amazing 40b with two of these guys, a male and a female - they're so fun to watch.

That's awesome! I love mine, I want a tank big enough to replicate their natural behavior. They live in groups and have a cave they all live in. They're very cool fish. And they're purple :D

How far is far like on the other side of the tank
I have also noticed while looking at on line dealers that some are labeled aggressive and others not does this me they should not b put in the same tank

I have also noticed while looking at on line dealers that some are labeled aggressive and others not does this me they should not b put in the same tank

Usually you want to give about 4-6" for lps. Softies can be close to each other and I'd say 4" or so for sps depending on the species. All my lps are pretty far apart from other corals but I have a birdsnest that encroaches on my green slimer acro and gets the crud stung out of it when it grows into it.

I frag them. Some tht are harder to frag I just keep far apart. If you don't permanently attach corals to rock or let them encrust onto it you can usually move them away from others easily if need be.

In my tank, stingers are in general placed at least 1-2 inches from any others (although occasionally a stray Anthelia may fall into the grasp of an acan haha.) This may not seem like a lot of distance, but for a tank my size,e with relatively small coral colonies, it's enough to prevent serious problems. However, I do make sure the stinging corals are kept far (>4inches) from the toadstool, which can release toxins into the water column if stung.

About aggrieved vs not, this just refers to whether corals can and will sting others, and doesn't mean you can't keep them together, so long as you place them safely.

What type upgrades did you do if I can ask. Also the big tan coral on the left what is that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What type upgrades did you do if I can ask. Also the big tan coral on the left what is that.

About your second question, do you mean the biggest coral? That's a yellow toadstool.

Upgrades:
- Extra 9w 10000k/actinic fixture
- HOB fuge with chaeto and carbon
- Extra 9w fixture over refugium
- Tetra air pump for refugium intake
- $20 fountain pump for a second refugium intake
- $10 fountain pump for flow in fuge
- DIY black waterproof background
- Second heater in fuge for backup
- Metal desktop fan mounted on wall with DIY controller
- DIY electronic ATO
- 48 led moonlight

Wow, is it necessary to have a refugrum to have a pico reef aquarium? I was looking at a evolve 4 gallon AIO. Do you think it would work?

Wow, is it necessary to have a refugrum to have a pico reef aquarium? I was looking at a evolve 4 gallon AIO. Do you think it would work?

Well, you definitely don't need all this. Nor do you need a refugium per se, but it may have an effect on the nitrate levels if you are growing chaeto. Also, it's a place to keep extra filter media, temporarily confine hermits or snails, and to add a little extra water volume.

However, if you upgrade the filter to an ac70, you could keep chaeto and not have to even buy a powerhead to go in the tank, and you could keep extra filter media.

I checked out the evolve 4 btw, and it looks like a good tank, but I do have a few pieces of advice about it - 1. You'll need to upgrade the light for sure 2. The tank is acrylic, so it would be a good idea to make sure you don't use any abrasive glass cleaners on it. 3. It doesn't look like there would be much room in the back for chaeto, light, heater, and filter media (you could just ditch the chaeto and light though.)

I saw they have your tank on sale a dr foster and Smith for $40.00. I have a 50 gallon saltwater tank with a sump already. I wanted to get a pico tank to do either a small planted tank for my beta or a pico and have sexy shrimp. I was wondering if this tank comes with a lid?

I saw they have your tank on sale a dr foster and Smith for $40.00. I have a 50 gallon saltwater tank with a sump already. I wanted to get a pico tank to do either a small planted tank for my beta or a pico and have sexy shrimp. I was wondering if this tank comes with a lid?

Just so you know, the tank is always $40 on DFS. It's a great deal IMO! And no, this tank does not have a lid, but it wouldn't be that hard to make one.

That Pom Pom is a beautiful creature!!! Did you get it locally or online (where, if so)? Edit, ok so I was so excited I didn't read very carefully I was going to take another look at the pic when I re read it. Never mind about the ? !!! lol

Last edited:
That Pom Pom is a beautiful creature!!! Did you get it locally or online (where, if so)? Edit, ok so I was so excited I didn't read very carefully I was going to take another look at the pic when I re read it. Never mind about the ? !!! lol

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw a pic of them :). I got it to come out of it's hiding spot in the rocks with food this morning - it slowly came out waving its anemones around to catch food, very shy creatures for the most part.

+1 to what dingus said. However mine once he fully adjusted would be out pretty often waving his little nems around.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw a pic of them :). I got it to come out of it's hiding spot in the rocks with food this morning - it slowly came out waving its anemones around to catch food, very shy creatures for the most part.

+1 to what dingus said. However mine once he fully adjusted would be out pretty often waving his little nems around.

I have read about them before because I love inverts, lol, and it is incredible that they keep the nems, and propagate them if necessary. It is so cute how tiny they are and stay. Can you buy those kind of Nems, or any other Nems that small just for the tank?

Back
Top Bottom