Possible nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have a 20 gallon sitting around and was wondering on your guys opinions on setting up a nano? I have a 110 which i want to create sps dominate. Was wondering what id need to create a little softie 20 gallon tank. Any opinions or ideas? Dont want to spend hundreds like i have on the big tank. What would i need? Filtration wise, lighting, flow and so on. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So i have a 20 gallon sitting around and was wondering on your guys opinions on setting up a nano? I have a 110 which i want to create sps dominate. Was wondering what id need to create a little softie 20 gallon tank. Any opinions or ideas? Dont want to spend hundreds like i have on the big tank. What would i need? Filtration wise, lighting, flow and so on. Thanks

Should be pretty cheap, especially since you already have a 110.

If it were me I would use a couple par 38 leds, a cheap HOB filter, and a small powerhead. Not sure what you're wanting to keep in it though.

I just want to keep soft corals and zoas and stuff like that. Since i wanna male my 110 a dps tank. Maybe a fish or two but thats it

Just a regualr HOB filter or anything special?

Just a regualr HOB filter or anything special?

Yes, I would just use a normal HOB filter. water changes will be easy to keep up with on a tank this size. If you're only wanting to keep two small fish, nutrient levels should be fairly easy to keep in check as well.

Probably 2 clowns a firefish and a shrimp only. And where can i get the lights from? And also should i just go with a filter raited for 20 gallons or more?

I just really want to get my zoas, palys, leather, mushrooms and xenia out of my main tank and into a smaller tank. Dont want xenia spreading and taking over which it has already spread onto the rock from my plug

I would go with a non dimmable option. Less money. And anyways cant you make any light dimmable by restricting flow of energy to the light?

Just be sure to look at the degree of optics if you go with LEDs, as this will determine how the light spreads out, and how many you will need.

I definitely want to go with leds since i have them on my 110 but not surewith which and how many i would need for a 20 gallon softie tank. And dont wants leds that will break the bank either

One of the Tao panels sound like your best bet to me then

I have that on my 110. But wouldnt that be too much? 120 watts on 20 gallons?

Just get one if the dimmable ones and turn it down, still the cheapest option to get full coverage on the tank.

Also what should i keep my salinity at? With hard coral reef i keep it 1.025 but with softies that dont require that higher calcium and alkalinity what would be a reasonable number? Should i still follow the same rule?

Also what should i keep my salinity at? With hard coral reef i keep it 1.025 but with softies that dont require that higher calcium and alkalinity what would be a reasonable number? Should i still follow the same rule?

That number is good for softies as well. If you want to keep it a little lower so you don't have to worry about top offs as urgently with the lower water volume, that's fine as well.

Would i be able to run a 20 gallon softie Tank on a par38 led bulb?

Back
Top Bottom