Power failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massalago

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long would my corals and fish last roughly if the power was out?

That would depend on the filtration you have... How much of waste is in the water at the time... The last date you did your water change... The last time you fed them... How many fish, inverts etc in the tank... I would say an hour before they start getting stressed....

Wow looks like I'm going to have to purchase a generator

Does this stress qualify for only hard corals? Or soft corals too? Im thinking of getting some but this is makin me think otherwise, Dont own a genorator and cant afford one. Lol
I just have fish and a few small colony polyps

You don't need a generator... I myself run a ac/dc pump which has a 10 hour battery life on it... This is more than enough to keep your tank going till the power comes back on.

Where could I get one from and what sort of money?

There's other things to consider as well. The temperature being a main concern. Don't think any battery backup would keep a tanks temp. stable for long. A chiller in the summer or heater in the winter really drain these backup systems. Personally, I'd be screwed if my power were to go out for much more than an hour during the heat of the summer. As much as I would like to have a backup generator, it wouldn't do me any good unless I was home when the power went out. Im away fm home a lot and the auto generators r way out of the question. Way expensive

You could use a UPS battery back up for a computer. It should last a few hours depending on what you connect to it. I keep a car battery on a charger with a power inverter, if the power go out I connect the pump and heater to the inverter. Keep in mind that the more crowded your tank the less time it will last with out power.

Again, that would work in the winter and only if I were there to connect it. These options are better than trying to load everything into the car and staying in a motel I suppose

Back
Top Bottom