Power head for 29 bio cube???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Water changes are a MUST in any salt water tank, even more so if you keep corals. The water change doesn't just take out nitrates it also ADDS any trace elements that have been used by your corals and creatures via the newly mixed salt.

I have no skimmer on my biocube and do weekly water changes of 3-6 gallons. Just takes like 10 minutes maybe. It's a small price to pay for a healthy tank.

As far as powerheads go, I'm using a 425 koralia now and find the flow "adequate". I've actually run my 750 koralia in it before and found that to be good, maybe a touch much but overall good. :) So a 550 would probably be perfect. It's all about the placement and angles though so do what works best. You want water flow around all your rocks and sand with no dead spots whatsoever. This is vital in keeping your tank clean and healthy as well. :)

Don't let all the information overwhelm you, just go piece by piece and go from there. :)

So maybe one facing the back of the rocks and one facing the front of the rocks an the stock one hitting the top of the water? Cause I have one right now so I'm only hitting one side of the rocks. You have to bare with me I have bad OCD. So I'm thinking one to hit the front cause right now nothing is.

I can see the sand and rocks getting nice current on the right side but the sand and rock an whatever is on the rock on the left side is still. Like I said I have the stock out take hitting the surface.

I guess what would easiest is do most people just run 1 power head along with the stock one or to they run 2? I would think 2 would do the trick nicely.

Last edited:
I run one powerhead along with the stock one, I'm not sure if 3 would be ideal or not, I know I haven't found any dead spots with my current setup but it will also depend on your rock setup. A picture might help or Carey may have some advice

Hmm how about if you aimed that right powerhead more towards the back and the left return towards the front glass. That should make a circular type flow that might get around the rocks. :-D

you have a TON of room around your rocks in the back. you could actually add 5-10 more lbs & not even worry about it. Remember you can't see from the back & you wont be cleaning the back wall so no need for space unless you wanted a 360 degree reef. but you'll have corals you couldn't see. It looks good though man but get back in your 1 single thread! :)

Back
Top Bottom