Powerhead & Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ali024

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!! I have a 10 gallon reef tank & I was wondering if I should purchase a heater & a powerhead? If so.. which ones do you recommend?? And.. is only one powerhead sufficient or would I need two?

THANKS!!! =)

Welcome to AA!

Having a heater is always a good idea. You'd only need a small one too for that tank.

I don't think it's necessary to have a powerhead in your tank, however if you could provide more details we could understand better. Fish, plants, age, etc.

I currently have a goby & a percula clownfish... as for corals I have a flower tree coral, brain coral, polyps, bubble coral, and a frogspawn coral... hope that helps, thanks :)

My mistake, I totally missed the fact that this is a SW tank.

I'll have to defer to those guys for this. Sorry about that...

Do you have a thermometer? If so, what is the degree of temp swing, between lights on/off. If it is more than 2 degrees, you may want to invest in a small heater. I like to have a little extra ph, for more flow. Since this is a nano, even though it is a hardware question, I will move this to the Nano sub-topic. I think you will get more specific answers to your questions.

Yes you will need a heater and a power head , stagnet water in a salt tank is bad . This helps to churn the water and give gas exchange ....it also helps the water to circulate through the LR to filter it .... As for the heater I have the finexx titanium 50 wat and love it . It is 6 inches long and fits in my filter .... I have it set 1 or so degree from my target so my target is 75* I have mine at 74* the lights and the equipment keep it pretty stable .And with the water constantly flowing around it it does a fairly even heat . And because it is titanium you dont need to worry about a cracked glass tube ..Also invest in a thermometer if you dont have one this way you have an at a glance for your temp, and can adjust your heater accordingly , you just dont want a huge swing but your tank can handle a 1* with out a problem...wich you probably will have with the lights on and off cycle...

finnexx heater

I second the Finnex heater. I have the digitals on my 55 and 125.

sounds great!! i will definitely look into purchasing the Finnex heater! any recommendations on a power head?

I only have experience with Maxi-Jet and SEIOs and some cheap Wal-Mart brand. I like the Maxi-Jet.

Well I wasnt gonna disrespect the man here but I wondered what in the heck you were recommending those for ! I figured that was to take the place of the heater too :foot: :lol: :eyes:

Sadielynn said:
Well I wasnt gonna disrespect the man here but I wondered what in the heck you were recommending those for ! I figured that was to take the place of the heater too :foot: :lol: :eyes:
LOL! I was born in Texas, I guess I always think big!

haha... thankkss everyone!! i will definetely be making some purchases this week :)

Back
Top Bottom