powerhead for 14g biocube???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I filled up my newly purchased 14g biocube with freshwater to check that everything was working(can't always fully trust Craigslist) and notice some pretty good water movement. However, I would like to add more mid to lower level circulation. Any powerhead recommendations?

Hydor koralia nano 240 gph

Best powerhead for smaller tanks! You can probably find them used for about 15-20$

Hydor koralia nano 240 gph

Best powerhead for smaller tanks! You can probably find them used for about 15-20$

I just purchased the next size larger Koralia Nano 425 for my 29 gallon Biocube from That Fish Place ( a sponser on here ) for just under $25.00 and the smaller one you were looking at was a couple bucks cheaper if I remember correctly. There is a shipping charge to consider but mine was part of an order that qualified for free shipping so that was not an issue for me.

I will definitely take a look @ their site... Where do u plan on putting the new powerhead to improve circulation... I ask because the 14g and 29g are essentially the same tank... Thanks for the info

As you look at the tank I am going to put it on the right side where the first chamber is , Roughly placed as the pump outlet is on the other side. Most of the tanks I have seen have them in this area. Will probably have to play with adjustment in order to get it where I like it.

Thats about where i was thinking... Are you going to point it towards the surface or straight across to get some counter flow... Sorry for all the questions but ive never had a biocube nor have i been very successful finding helpful info regarding flow...

Good question. This is also my first biocube and it is my first saltwater tank as well.

I will have to put it in and expierement as to what seems to work best. I would think that tank to tank might be a little different depending on what is in the tank and how it is arranged. My tank is a FOWLR with most of the live rock more or less in a pile in the center of the tank. Have to wait and see , hopeful it arrives today and will have to go from there.

Good point. Good luck w the tank... Let me know how it works!

Neeker it worked perfect

I placed it on the right about an inch below the water inlet on the top and angled it slightly downward and angled toward the center of the tank. Nice gentle spread on the flow pattern and not like it is a fire hose.

The smaller one at 240 gallons should work perfect for you , since my cube is a 29 gallon and with the larger pump it seems just right.

Thats great scuba dude, i set everything up last weekend, put the powerhead about mid tank opposite the tanks natural out pipe and pointed it towards the bottom middle of the tank. So far it looks ok, but i had to go to NY for work so I'll see how it works when I get home friday... Glad it worked well for you!

Back
Top Bottom