Powerhead Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi!

I just got my Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Powerhead. Where should I place it for most beneficial water circulation? I have 2 aquaclear 30 HOB filters as shown in the photo. Water is cloudy because my two spot goby has been sifting sand. Thanks.

image-1658550242.jpg

Hi!

I just got my Hydor Koralia Nano 240 Powerhead. Where should I place it for most beneficial water circulation? I have 2 aquaclear 30 HOB filters as shown in the photo. Water is cloudy because my two spot goby has been sifting sand. Thanks.

View attachment 154225

From what I've read and plan to do, it's suggested to put them on opposite sides of the tank facing into each other or diagonal into each other to create a good flow/current. I've got one in my 10g reef and another on the way. I'll be setting mine up this way and they're both the sames ones that you have. Nice and quiet, too. I found one at Petco yesterday for $40, but ordered mine from amazon for $27. I win! :brows:

You have one power head. Your going to play around a little to find a good spot. You can try on the left side (if your facing the tank) up towards the top and angled towards the middle of the tank hitting the glass.

From what I've read and plan to do, it's suggested to put them on opposite sides of the tank facing into each other or diagonal into each other to create a good flow/current. I've got one in my 10g reef and another on the way. I'll be setting mine up this way and they're both the sames ones that you have. Nice and quiet, too. I found one at Petco yesterday for $40, but ordered mine from amazon for $27. I win! :brows:

Nice. Got mine on eBay for $30 shipping included.

You have one power head. Your going to play around a little to find a good spot. You can try on the left side (if your facing the tank) up towards the top and angled towards the middle of the tank hitting the glass.

Exactly the spot I had in mind. Thanks Convict!

What size tank do you have? I think I'm have circulation issues in my 5 gallon and was considering the Hydor 240. Is that too much power for a 5 gallon? Is the flow adjustable?

What size tank do you have? I think I'm have circulation issues in my 5 gallon and was considering the Hydor 240. Is that too much power for a 5 gallon? Is the flow adjustable?

Mine is 27 gallon. I ordered this powerhead when I was still running my 10 gallon though. Its pretty weak for my 27 gallon and I will be switching to 425 gph. The flow is nice but it could work well in your 5 gallon. It's not an overkill for sure. It's quiet.

Ok good! Ya I was looking at the Hydor 240 vs the aquatop ph-16 which are roughly the same GPH but the aquatop comes with a air regulator too.

How much was the Hydor -240 because the aquatop is $15 with free shopping on truaqua today. The only thing is the aquatop doesn't have an adjustable head. Do you think that is a big factor?

I have a fluval spec v with a small pump in it already that I can kind of direct. Would it be better to get the air regulator or just to get the adjustable flow?

Ok good! Ya I was looking at the Hydor 240 vs the aquatop ph-16 which are roughly the same GPH but the aquatop comes with a air regulator too.

How much was the Hydor -240 because the aquatop is $15 with free shopping on truaqua today. The only thing is the aquatop doesn't have an adjustable head. Do you think that is a big factor?

I have a fluval spec v with a small pump in it already that I can kind of direct. Would it be better to get the air regulator or just to get the adjustable flow?

Ha. I had Spec 5 for freshwater. Nice tank. The pump was $30 with shipping included on eBay. My LFS sells then for $45 plus tax roughly $50.
I would just run Hydor and put it directly across the pump of your tank.

Ok cool! Thanks for your help! So do I point each of the pump/ power head directly at each they or should I make the flow in a circular pattern?

Ok cool! Thanks for your help! So do I point each of the pump/ power head directly at each they or should I make the flow in a circular pattern?

I watched lots of videos on YouTube and most people point powerheads at each other; something I will do when I have 2 powerheads running in my tank.

i would return that nano power head if I was you. It's worthless in a tank that size. That said, move your pump(s) around until you have the least amount of low flow areas.

i would return that nano power head if I was you. It's worthless in a tank that size. That said, move your pump(s) around until you have the least amount of low flow areas.

Yeah. I will. I ordered it online when I was still running a 10 gallon tank. Thanks.

Here are the guidelines for it.

image-4019808723.jpg

They always tend to rate higher then actual real life. I could breath heavier then those nanos. I went with a single MP10. Best thing I ever did ( to the tank that is) well... That and the lights.

They always tend to rate higher then actual real life. I could breath heavier then those nanos. I went with a single MP10. Best thing I ever did ( to the tank that is) well... That and the lights.

I like the idea of a single strong powerhead. Saves some real estate within your aquarium.

This is where the powerhead wound up staying. Everyone seems to be happy.

image-2014185232.jpg

Honestly I can say I never heard of those lol

Lol. I hadn't either till this evening. It was a good balance between a $35 Aqueon and $200 wave maker. Was $54. Got it at Jim's Exotic Fish. The sucker is powerful and quiet. Very happy with the purchase. Hydor 240 going to get listed for sale on eBay.

Lol. I hadn't either till this evening. It was a good balance between a $35 Aqueon and $200 wave maker. Was $54. Got it at Jim's Exotic Fish. The sucker is powerful and quiet. Very happy with the purchase. Hydor 240 going to get listed for sale on eBay.

Good to know! Thanks, I will look into those just to gather information on them.

You've should've mentioned it sooner, I would have bought that one from you. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom