Premade nano tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone know any really good, premade nano tanks that run well and aren't super expensive? I am looking for something other than a nanocube unless someone knows something that would change my mind about the price. I'm looking for about a 20-30 gallon aquarium.

What do you like about it? I looked at them but they kind of looked like knockoffs so I didn't look into it further.. But if the price is right I'll do it, I love the style!

The stock lighting is really nice for low to medium light coral, the filter is pretty good, but many people have made mods for it that make it a lot better, and the lights can be put on a timer.

I do not need fancy lighting but I would like moonlights.. I could probably mod it to put them in though.

And Carey, I have seen your tank and it looks quite successful, did you do anything to the skimmer and does it work well enough? Btw, thanks for the help and links to both of you, it's really helpful

I'm not running a skimmer on my cube. Just good old fashioned water changes. :)

I have no idea how to add moonlights. wish I did I'd love some on my 125g lol

They are pretty easy to make, you just need the strips and I think they sell those on eBay. How many water changes do you do?

Just a weekly 4 gallons. 5g if I'm feeling ambitious. LOL

I'm running about 5 nitrate though, but thats a direct result of my over feeding the tank.

Actually, I've had some red alage but for some reason it has completely gone away over the last week. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

Yep I saw a video of someone who had a tank covered in red slime algae. It was disgusting. On another note, I'm going to have to go shopping for some tanks now!

I think I am going to have to go with the biocube mainly because of the price difference, and moonlights. I am usually not able to see it in the day and moonlights can make me be able to watch the corals like candycanes and acans open up and feed. Plus, it let's me buy more live rock. I don't quite know how I'm going to afford the live rock as it's about 9$ per lb here but I'm going to try my best. I may just do a fowlr until I can afford a reef.

Wow that is soo much cheaper than the base rock at my lfs. I guess since I'll be doing a fowlr it shouldnt matter as much.

As your tank cycles it will make the base rock live. After a month or two the rock will look just like the live rock pretty much. I almost can't tell the rock apart in my tanks now. lol I even have some coralline on the base rocks already. But you have to have it in your tank to begin with for it to spread. :)

Instant Ocean is fine, thats what i've been using and have had no issues. I switched to their reef crystals and have had abnormally high calcium levels so I might be swapping back to the I/O regular salt.

And yep, the rock will all look the same after a while. The other neat thing is you won't get any hitchhikers on the base rock so you kinda know whats in your tank. Some people LIKE the hitchhikers cause you can get some cool stuff but I'm kinda a pansy when it comes to that. lol

I REALLY want to find a clown mantis shrimp and because it is a fowlr, all my cleaner crew might get eaten but the fish won't hopefully. Or an accidental frag would be nice :)

Back
Top Bottom