Project Cube (thinking about a new tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, im considering getting one of those oceanic 30G cubes. My initial idea is to start in now in preperation for a specialty show tank with a large blue carpet anemone and a pair of clowns. That would be WAY down the line of course, I would likely cycle it and use it for a frag tank as it matures. Anyone used these cube tanks? I assume that the shape makes circulation fairly easy, my plan during maturation would be a 20G sump, 800GPH overflow, and a mag9.5 on a SQWD. Will likely reduce that once the SPS frags come out and the anemone goes in sometime in late 2005.
As far as light im thinking 250W pendant with 20K XMs, not sure how to get some PCs to it for supplimental lighting yet. I am going to take the hinged top flap on the hood of my 105G (its the oceanic cherry wood, the same as the cube) and hack it to pieces to make a custom hood for the cube. The wife should be happy if the tanks match.
Anyhow, just thought I would toss my idea out there, I will likely move forward in the next few weeks and start posting some pics as it develops. One small step for aquarist, one giant leap for me into MTS. :) take care everyone.

A 250W pendant will look great over the cube. The dimentions of the cube really prohibit aything larger than 55W PC bulbs over it.

FYI, you can get a MH pendant fixture with the PC actinics already built in. They aren't cheap, but if you consider buying the MH and the PC's separate, and having to build something to hold them, the prices aren't that bad. Sounds like you'll have an awesome tank when you get it set up.

I am in the final stages of my new cube. Depending on which calculator you use it is somewhere between 48 and 51 gallons. I built it out of 3/8" acrylic with a euro-style bracing across the top and it is very solid. The full sheet of 3/8" which gave me enough to build a sump for it as well ran close to $125. Of course when you add in bonding agents and the 1/4" black I used for the overflow I am probably near the $200 mark on the tank and sump. I have one of the new coralvue 250W HQI 15K pendants that so far I adore. While I used Oak, you could use anything you would like for the stand. But DIY for me is the only way to go to ensure the stand is the right height, the tank is the right size for location, and on and on and on...

Awesome idea, I love cubes. Good luck with your idea.

R-

Back
Top Bottom