Pros and cons to the thickness of tank substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmmnano

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have 24 g nano cube I bought a bag of 40lbs of live sand I know the norm only calls for 24lbs but would there b any problem with a thicker bottom

No your fine, 40 lbs will probably give you around 2" deep all the way around IME.

This actually raises a question that has been on my mind.
Since it seems that undergravel filters are now out of style, and just a sand bed with little flow through it will eventually give rise to spots of anaerobic bacteria growing, how do you guys account for it?
If those get disturbed it can wipe out a whole tank quickly, how do you guys manage it, aside from stirring up the gravel and vaccing it?
It would seem to me that areas under/around rockwork could still be spots to worry about.
I wonder how many tank crashes were due to a spot of anaerobic bacteria getting stirred up, by critters or humans?

I personally prefer some type of undergravel setup in all my tanks.
I do understand that it can give rise to elevated nitrate levels, but if properly managed and cared for I doubt it would be an issue.

sorry, got a little off topic, but the deeper your sand bed, if stagnant, the more chance of having nasty pockets form.

It generally takes a pretty deep sand bed (4"+) for that to happen IME, and I also like to add a couple nassarius snails as they keep the sand bed turned over. I believe quite a few tank crashes have been caused by people stirring up DSB's, but if it's not disturbed it really shouldn't be a problem. As far as the sand under the rocks goes, it's best to put the rock work in before the sand as this makes them more secure, and eliminates the risk of them falling if anything digs under them. And I also personally never vacuum my sand bed in any way because IME no matter how hard you try the sand bed is going to look dirty after a while, and that's a sign of a healthy tank IMO. Just my $.02 though, because I know of an amazing tank that's run on an under gravel filter. Google Paul B's reef tank and I'm sure you'll find it

Edit: here's an article on the tank I mentioned, he's really an incredible aquarist using really old school methods
http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/i...e/article/7-paul-baldassanos-40-year-old-reef

It generally takes a pretty deep sand bed (4"+) for that to happen IME, and I also like to add a couple nassarius snails as they keep the sand bed turned over. I believe quite a few tank crashes have been caused by people stirring up DSB's, but if it's not disturbed it really shouldn't be a problem. As far as the sand under the rocks goes, it's best to put the rock work in before the sand as this makes them more secure, and eliminates the risk of them falling if anything digs under them. And I also personally never vacuum my sand bed in any way because IME no matter how hard you try the sand bed is going to look dirty after a while, and that's a sign of a healthy tank IMO. Just my $.02 though, because I know of an amazing tank that's run on an under gravel filter. Google Paul B's reef tank and I'm sure you'll find it

Edit: here's an article on the tank I mentioned, he's really an incredible aquarist using really old school methods
http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/i...e/article/7-paul-baldassanos-40-year-old-reef

I believe the persons tank you are recommending, is the person you are talking to.. PB_Smith and his bio states 40 years in the hobby...

On the other note, I just always keep my sandbed turning to prevent any crashes from it. Simple as that.

I believe the persons tank you are recommending, is the person you are talking to.. PB_Smith and his bio states 40 years in the hobby...

On the other note, I just always keep my sandbed turning to prevent any crashes from it. Simple as that.

I wish that was my setup. LOL.

But I did set up my first salt tank in 1979

I still am a little baffled as to why UG filters have fallen so out of vogue.
Any problems concerning them are easily handled by proper maintenance, like any filtration system.
When I helped manage a LFS in the early 80's, our salt set-up was all reverse flow UG's.
I'm thinking of doing the same on mine, going reverse flow. It makes logical sense, you still have the benefit of a huge surface area for BB to flourish, no worry about "dead spots" that turn black, and they tend to keep water pretty clear once well established. Plus with using a reverse flow, the substrate won't get "clogged" with detritus nearly as much/fast. Sounds like it can go 25 years between cleanings, LOL.

The only thing/difference between utilizing an UG set-up and live rock is that with live rock you also have the tiny nooks and crannies for anaerobic bacteria to thrive for nitrate conversion but without danger of poisoning the tank.
So maybe a slow reverse flow UG with live rock and a sump setup and refugium would be the ultimate way to go??

Sounds good to me, I think I'm going to work on setting up a reverse flow system.

If anyone can provide really good info/research into why UG filters are not used, I would be greatly interested because I honestly can't think of solid reasons why.

plus I can make a good UG filter for about $10 ;)

Back
Top Bottom