Protein skimmer for 12 gallon nanocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misskeeter2766

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it seems there is a lot of conflicting info out there on this...

Do I need/should I get a protein skimmer for my 12 gallon nanocube that I am JUST now in the process of setting up.... or should I forget about it and just focus on the weekly water changes to take care of it for a tank this small??

if I should get one, then what kind is best and would work for my nanocube?

thanks in advance!

you don't need a Protein Skimmer on a tank that small. Weekly water changes will be enough. congrats on the tank :)

Well, if it gives you piece of mind, you can use some micro skimmers. They aren't very good.. but they still do something. I know tunze make some micro skimmers.

However, A1 is correct. With a tank that small, your PWC's will take care of all the filtration needed. And will replenish all minerals and supplements a saltwater tank needs, depending on the salt mix you use of course, but most have all the necessities. If you do not have any live rock which counts for biological filtration, and a big part at that, then i would suggest using some form of mechanical filtration. Fuge, Skimmer, HOB filter with LR rubble, etc..

Errr...I would just skip the skimmer. Most, if not all skimmers that are made for nano tanks are hunks of crap that aren't worth the plastic they are made out of.

As stated above, PWC's will accomplish the same thing, maybe even do a better job than a nano skimmer would. HTH.

Congrats on the purchase by the way, and do plenty of research as a small mistake in a tank that small can cause huge problems.

Yup. Research is key. Also be prepared for evaporation. Less water in the nano's make evap seem like it goes faster, so you will need to be on top of your top-offs pretty often. But top-offs should be easier than not since it's still a small amount of water that's evaporating in comparison to the amount of water in the tank, so it's also a small amount of water that needs to be added. ;)

thominil and Zer0...great post..all I have to do is watch...keep up the good work! Oh...A-1 great question and you also keep up the good work...

THANKS everyone.
I plan on doing weekly water changes.... and yes, I know it's a lot of work and only bad things happen quickly, especially in a tank this small. :)
I've ordered 32 pounds of live rock .. well... it's 32 pounds total, but there will be several pounds of that as rubble...

should I take out the bioballs and just use live rock rubble? I saw that mentioned in a couple of places...

I know that 32 pounds is too much, but it was a package deal and I wanted options... I plan to use about 15 pounds +rubble.

Yeah i would definitely get rid of the bio-balls. They aren't horrible devices, but the benefits of LR rubble outweigh those of bio-balls.

"you don't need a Protein Skimmer on a tank that small. Weekly water changes will be enough. congrats on the tank"
This Q and the fact that you kept the post positive!

I agree. He may not have a sw tank.. but he sure knows a good deal about them! :)

okay.. finally got it set up... it is running empty... LOL. saltwater only at the moment... I took out the bioballs and the ceramic rings... how important is the charcoal?

I installed the heater in the last compartment... just waiting for my live rock to get here and I'll stick that in... weird that I like just watching the blue water with bubbles. :) makes the room look pretty, even empty!

Back
Top Bottom