Protein Skimmers and Refugiums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unwritten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon long nano reef in the process.
I have a Odyessea T5 Quad light fixture coming in 6 days.
I also have a Koralia 1050 Circulation Pump and a Aqueon 30 filter.

I was talking to one of the guys at PetsMart who has a couple salt water tanks and is pretty honest with me most of the time. He said that I don't need a refugium on my 20 gallon because it won't be useful for the things I am looking to get (hard corals, frags, and 2-3 fish and live rock)
He did however recommend a Protein skimmer by the name of "Slim Skim"
but I was looking more at the Octopus BH 1000 Protein Skimmer.

Any preferances over the two?

Evan was also telling me how I am going to have to change my salt from the Instant Ocean he set me up with in the beginning for my FOWLR.
Any suggestions as to what salt I should be using?

And final question:
Is there any other Hardwear I should be looking to invest it?

I am thinking about picking up an RO/DI Filtration System.
Evan said that would by thousands of dollars of an investment, but AquaOceans was looking to sell me one for $150 and I found some online for $130 (brand new) So...any suggestions on what to do with that information?

I have six tanks, not all set up yet, but thats the only reason I was looking into the unit instead of paying by the gallon since it can become costly in my situation.

THANKS! in advance. :banghead:

A RO/DI system won't cost you thousands. You can pick some good ones up between 100-200. Keep in mind that they produce waste water as they filter. I have seen some folks producing twice as much waste as filtered (so 2 gallons of waste for every one gallon of filtered) because their water pressure was absurdly low. The higher the pressure going into the filter the less waste it will produce. If your water pressure is not sufficient you may need to look into adding a pump to the unit or your water bill may skyrocket.

I've never had an issue with the tap water, but I've heard so many bad things. What would you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom