Questions about LEDs and soft coral placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

axbrown

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently inherited a nano tank from a friend that has been up and running for about year now, and I decided to buy some soft corals and replace some of the live rock. I started off by purchasing some new lights to support soft corals, the Beams Work 1w LED x9 which has six 10000k daylight bulbs and 3 actinic 460nm. The soft corals I purchased were 2 frags with zooanthids, one with zathenia and what they called a leather? I'm not sure what it was. I also got two other frags, one with button polyps and zooanthids and a small free frag with that looks like a type of grass almost. Anyways, this is my first saltwater tank, and I want to do it right. So my questions are:

Are the LEDs strong enough for my soft corals? And are my button polyps (which are overshadowing my zooanthids) two close to one another? I can't separate the buttons from the zooanthids on the same frag but I can move them away from the other frag. Advice on lights and placement of my coralsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390075663.120608.jpg would be greatly appreciated :) thanks all!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390075582.898733.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390075596.780124.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390075610.214137.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390075629.348842.jpg

beautiful live rock! Those are pretty weak LEDs, but they might be sufficient for the coral you are trying to grow, depending on how big the tank is and what the depth is...

It's only an 8 gallon tanks, only about 11 inches from the water level to the sand bed

I'd say the lights are about 12 inches max from the farthest frag themselves

Ok cool :) and thanks for the comment on the live rock, I got pretty lucky finding that piece!

Back
Top Bottom