Really wanting to make one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really want to start a nano tank to complete my "empire" of tanks. I don't want to spend a ton of money and don't need anything fancy. What do you suggest if I was to start planning to make a nano tank? I know I am not being specific, but it's only because I am unsure as to what I want.

I started my pico thinking that it would be a good way to get into SW without spending a lot of money.

I've spent a lot of money. :lol:

I've probably spent over $200 on my pico reef so far, and remember that I already had a bunch of LR and the Aquaclear filter so it would have been more otherwise. If cost really is a big factor for you, then maybe it isn't such a good idea. A nano tank also requires a lot of attention. Lots. I have to top off my pico with FW twice a day to keep the salinity stable, and I've been changing water every 2-3 days. If you have the money but not a lot of time, you may want to consider a larger tank, like 29 gallons or more. It's much easier keeping a larger tank stable than a smaller tank.

If you're really serious about wanting to do this, here is what I would consider buying.
a refractometer- this is really the only way to determine the SG of your water in any sort of accurate way. Hydrometers are pretty much junk, and a refracto is ABSOLUTELY worth the money.
decent lighting- if you want to start a reef, this is essential. What you buy, of course, will be determined by what size tank you get. A very general guideline is that 3 wpg or more will give you enough light to grow soft corals. Normal output lighting probably won't cut it either- you'll probably want to go with power compacts or T5's if your tank is large enough, but pc's come in a much wider variety of sizes. Keep in mind that your tank will probably end up open-top, so buy mounting legs for your light if they are available.
a powerhead- even if you set up a tiny tank like mine where you have enough turnover without a powerhead, you'll still need one for mixing up your SW.
aragonite sand- it's easier to keep clean than crushed coral.
live rock- 1-2 pounds per gallon.
either an RO unit or RO water, and RO/DI is even better- my tank is so small that I just take a jug and buy 2 gallons of RO at a time. Then I mix up my water at home.
salt mix- I use Oceanic. Asking what kind is the best is like asking what the best model of car is. Everyone has an opinion.
HOB filter- this isn't necessary I suppose, but especially in a small tank it will move a lot of water. Plus, you can take out all the media and cram the chamber full of LR rubble. This gives your tank more bio filtration.
a skimmer- depending on the size of tank you want, this may be a good idea. My tank is so small that I keep it in check with just water changes.
a heater- just like in FW, you want to keep your temp stable.
a SW test kit- this is extremely important, and your FW test kit won't work for SW.

Someone jump in here if I am forgetting anything.

Anyway, you can see how this could get expensive pretty quickly.
:wink: I'm not trying to discourage you at all, just pointing out that it will not be a low cost or low maintenance endeavor.

Well thank you for that very informative post. I will keep looking it over and I'll make a decision later in the week. Need to plan out the budget :).

Move your rosy barbs, glass barb, and gourami into your 46 gallon tank and use your 20 long. Those tanks are probably the simplest to set up as reef tanks, and the size is perfect. :)

Nice post, severum. :)

Move your rosy barbs, glass barb, and gourami into your 46 gallon tank and use your 20 long.
I agree, that sounds like the way to go... UNLESS that tank has ever been medicated with any copper-based meds. If it has, it's risky to even try setting up a reef with it, and you'd be better off just to replace it. In fact, I would be wary of setting it up as a reef if the tank has ever been medicated at all, but that's JMO. After all, a 20 long isn't exactly expensive.

Nice post, severum.
Ha, I learned from the best. 8)

Oooops, I didn't notice your sig earlier. I guess you'll just have to get a new tank, lol.

Back
Top Bottom