Red mangroves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I just got these red mangroves I ordered 5 they sent me 8 I want to have either 2 or 3 in my 28 my question is can I keep them in the center compartment of my refugium? I currently have some small pieces of live rock back there nothing else ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472572824.133326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can, but you need to be careful that the growing of the roots does not make their way into your filtration or plumbing in any way.
I keep mangroves in my system, more for the challenge and cool factor than anything. You need to make sure you spray them daily with ro/di water due to them 'sweating' out the salt they absorb from the saltwater. If not done this can be deadly for the tree.
It is best that they are kept in a sump setup. They can either be planted or if you want the roots to be out, float them with some styrofoam.

You can, but you need to be careful that the growing of the roots does not make their way into your filtration or plumbing in any way.
I keep mangroves in my system, more for the challenge and cool factor than anything. You need to make sure you spray them daily with ro/di water due to them 'sweating' out the salt they absorb from the saltwater. If not done this can be deadly for the tree.
It is best that they are kept in a sump setup. They can either be planted or if you want the roots to be out, float them with some styrofoam.

Thanks yea I've researched them a bit before I bought them and I've decided on keeping 3 maybe 4 once another sprouts roots i am floating them in the back of my display tank behind some rock as for the rest I will probably add them to my daughters betta tank

Now I'm no mangrove expert but I'm almost positive they require salt water to survive and grow. I don't think they'll live in a beta tank

Red mangroves can be done in salt, fresh, or brackish. Just once started they really need to stay in the water type they were grown in. It is quite difficult to get them switched over once roots are down from all I've ever read on the topic.

Now I'm no mangrove expert but I'm almost positive they require salt water to survive and grow. I don't think they'll live in a beta tank

They're pretty easy to grow like sniper tank said salt brackish or fresh they can grow in all 3 and I've even seen people grow red mangroves in a pot with mud and soil they are pretty hardy

Back
Top Bottom