Red Scooter Blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone successfully keeping a healthy Blenny in a Nano setup? They're beautiful and interesting but I've heard many say these r not nano fish. Any feedback would b appreciated

They may look cute when they're small. I tried keeping one in a nano, but it couldn't support the pod numbers its diet needs. They can also grow to 3"

I'm not talking cute. I'm talking about a fish that can b kept alive in a nano setup. Between Tigger pods and supplemental sustenance

By ur reasoning, a fish that reaches 3" isn't fit for a nano. Which would virtually eliminate keeping fish in a nano

you said "any feedback," therefore, I'm simply giving you my feedback and experience with scooter blennies in a nano set up. Take it or leave it.

Yes ur right. I apologize. Has anyone successfully kept a Blenny in a nano by taking care of his needs? Either by copepods or prepared food?

They are scooter dragonets. :-D I have a scooter in my biocube and he just fits. I have a fuge in the back of it and he is now weaned onto prepared foods. Took months though and he still eats pods.

Yes. Dragonet. That's what they really are Good, a success story. I have been very careful in selecting a tank mate for my peaceful green clown goby, who takes bits of scallops from my tweezers when I feed him. Thus eliminating any waste. I'm hoping to buy a dragonet if I think he is going to survive. My tank is full of copepods and I will add more if needed. My clown goby doesn't seem interested in them. I think he's too lazy to chase them when he knows if he waits he'll get an easy meal

You guys and your scooters. Just be prepared for it not to eat prepared foods at first. Mine only ate pods when I first introduced him and luckily I had enough to get him by until he took to frozen foods. :)

carey said:
You guys and your scooters. Just be prepared for it not to eat prepared foods at first. Mine only ate pods when I first introduced him and luckily I had enough to get him by until he took to frozen foods. :)

I am only getting one if I can support some pods. And since the skimmer that I am going to get needs to be in chamber 2, the fuge has to be in chamber 3, right? Or can copepods live through the skimmer?

I don't run a skimmer on mine, I have media baskets and a fuge in my center compartment. You can't out the fuge in the return pump section or it will suck up the macro algae.

So what's the problem? I've got tons of pods. All shapes and sizes. I am also propagating tigger pods to add. I could go into business just selling pods. I will never have to give him prepared foods. Or even the live mysis shrimp that everyone suggests. I c him constantly chasing critters. The bigger he gets the more pods I add. Tigger pods r easy to raise after u purchase a healthy batch at ur LFS. Just keep em in the fridge if u don't want a slew of em

carey said:
I don't run a skimmer on mine, I have media baskets and a fuge in my center compartment. You can't out the fuge in the return pump section or it will suck up the macro algae.

Interesting. I am not POSITIVE about the skimmer. It would be easy for me to do 20% water changes every other week.

They are scooter dragonets. :-D I have a scooter in my biocube and he just fits. I have a fuge in the back of it and he is now weaned onto prepared foods. Took months though and he still eats pods.
can you tell me how you wean a scooter blenny on prepared foods?

I fed many different foods a few times a day. Mine took to bloodworms very well. I would start with small frozen foods like cyclopeeze or baby brine and just keep trying different foods. It took well over a month for mine to switch over though so make sure you have enough pods for him to eat in the meantime. I use a turkey baster and shut down the water flow and kinda shoot the food at the scooter.

Back
Top Bottom