Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Speaking to my lfs they say I shouldn't have to worry too much about calcium levels till i add any stony corals, does this sound right?! Also where do you get your kalk from??

Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I get my Kalk from my lfs or online. And your lfs is correct, a dosing regimen probably isnt necessary until you are filled up with corals and they start depleting your elements.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got some really good websites on the topic and good advice for you I may post em up soon for u as soon as I get infront of a pc with time on my hands.
All I can say is caution this is the topic I researched the most before getting into it an I can only say it's worth it.
I've seen 3 tanks nuked by this method, so if you have the slightest bit of doubt and don't do well in understanding reactions and equilibria in chemistry I would keep away.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey
I get my Kalk from my lfs or online. And your lfs is correct, a dosing regimen probably isnt necessary until you are filled up with corals and they start depleting your elements.
Lol thanks carey u all ways manage to dumb it down into understandable terms for me! Although the next post has kinda scared me off the whole subject lol!
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can actually do damage if you dose too much so yeah, I would test your water and when the time comes decide on how you want to dose. i've been running low on alkalinity so I've been dosing just for that, but you shouldn't have to worry until you get ALOT if corals. Weekly water changes should keep your alkalinity and calcium and magnesium within correct parameters.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

So other than ammonia nitrate nitrite ph and salinity is there any thing else i need to be testing for while. M only stocked with fish and a few corals??
Also carey if thats the case will i have to dose for anything at all or would i get away with just plenty of water changes to keep things balanced, the thought of overdosing anything and it being detrimental to my livestock scares me lol.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_gibbo1985
So other than ammonia nitrate nitrite ph and salinity is there any thing else i need to be testing for while. M only stocked with fish and a few corals??
Also carey if thats the case will i have to dose for anything at all or would i get away with just plenty of water changes to keep things balanced, the thought of overdosing anything and it being detrimental to my livestock scares me lol.
That is the reason why we test for stuff. A kalk drip with it's chemistry I find to be the most useful addition to my tank. It keeps ph, alkalinity, and calcium levels in check. You can use b ionic instead I heard it works well but im just all about the cheap DIY stuff
If you're testing amm nitri and trate you should be fine with ur waterchanges!
Let u s know how it all goes.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a bunch of corals and I test for the following: ammonia, trites, trates, hi ph, phosphates, alkalinity, magnesium & calcium. When I was doing my weekly water changes I didn't have any drops any parameters, BUT I have recently switched my 125g to every two or three weeks for water changes. I also have about 30 corals in the tank, some large ones. In my opinion, most likely you will not have to dose anything if you keep up with the water changes.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the replies i think im just gonna add slowly and monitor my levels.
Ill be doing a 30% water change every weekend hopefully this will keep my parameters in check if anything becomes unmanageable with the weekly pwc then ill consider dosing. Does this sound ok??
Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With water changes that large I think you will be fine for some time.

Tags
build, nano, nano reef, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com