Saltwater 29 Gallon Stocking/Cleaning Crew/Corals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katy410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
So I'm getting the 29 Gallon cube!
But now I need to decide on my corals, cleaning crew, and stocking!
So, first of all, the stocking, so I can decide on my corals, and cleaning crew. I am getting live rock/sand, and I'm a beginner, but will have my dad, who has quite a bit of freshwater experience, helping along. So, I would not mind one moderate fish in there.

I LOVE jawfish. They way they look, and act, I mean. I would love a yellow head jawfish, but are they a lot if work, and would they nip at gobies, clownfish, and cardinals? Also, are jawfish like gobies? Because I would love to see a burrowing fish, and I'm debating between the two.

Next, I LOVE Cardinals. I love their colors, but I haven't researched them much yet; just in case they would nip at something, aren't friendly, etc.
I'd like to hear your opinions first, before I get waist deep in knowledge.

I also LOVE Occelaris clownfish. I have been researching them a lot, and I think they are the cutest little stinkers. Also, when I went to a restaurant with some people, a little girl, whom I know, kept dragging me to the aquarium to see the clownfish.

And, I'm open to everything else ;D

So, now, my cleaning crew!

I'm not an expert, so I need your judgments on it.

And lastly, my corals!

Also, you're judgement.

Thanks!

~Katy

Hey,
So I'm getting the 29 Gallon cube!
But now I need to decide on my corals, cleaning crew, and stocking!
So, first of all, the stocking, so I can decide on my corals, and cleaning crew. I am getting live rock/sand, and I'm a beginner, but will have my dad, who has quite a bit of freshwater experience, helping along. So, I would not mind one moderate fish in there.

I LOVE jawfish. They way they look, and act, I mean. I would love a yellow head jawfish, but are they a lot if work, and would they nip at gobies, clownfish, and cardinals? Also, are jawfish like gobies? Because I would love to see a burrowing fish, and I'm debating between the two.

Next, I LOVE Cardinals. I love their colors, but I haven't researched them much yet; just in case they would nip at something, aren't friendly, etc.
I'd like to hear your opinions first, before I get waist deep in knowledge.

I also LOVE Occelaris clownfish. I have been researching them a lot, and I think they are the cutest little stinkers. Also, when I went to a restaurant with some people, a little girl, whom I know, kept dragging me to the aquarium to see the clownfish.

And, I'm open to everything else ;D

So, now, my cleaning crew!

I'm not an expert, so I need your judgments on it.

And lastly, my corals!

Also, you're judgement.

Thanks!

~Katy

Clowns are awesome definitely get a pair of ocellaris. Jawfish are ok as long as your sand bed is deep like 4-5". They make a nice little burrow and live in it. Also make sure your live rock is on the bottom before you put sand in otherwise the jawfish could cause a rock slide. Cardinals are a schooling fish and do better in groups so maybe not for a 29. I would not do gobies with the jawfish in that size tank. For a cuc I'd get a couple of snails and that's it, hermits and emeralds are awful little creatures IMO. Corals like zoas, shrooms, leathers would do fine. Xenia and green star polyps are another cool coral that grow quite quickly. I assume your are just getting the standard biocube 29, not the hqi as the hqi would open up coral stocking quite a bit.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at possum wrasse, could they do? I just love that cute little face!

Hi! Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at possum wrasse, could they do? I just love that cute little face!
Wrasse are pretty but can get a little aggressive in a small area. They might pick on any goby. I've never had it happen to me, but I know people who have had their six line kill a watchman goby. I'm not so sure about the temperament of a possum wrasse though. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Possums are fine, they are cryptic so they tend to be pretty shy. They don't have the same personality and temperament as a six line. They are a good nano fish just be prepared to not see it for a few days once you put it in.

Mm. I think that they have the chest little faces! Would a 29g be considered a "nano"?

Okay, I got 2 occellaris clowns, an emerald crab for my hair and bubble algae, and like 6 turbo snails. What next?

Hmm how about a goby/shrimp pair?

Thanks for the suggestion, Bribo! That is a maybe, since I would like to witness their pairings. Only issue there is that I would like to get a blood shrimp. I think that it is compatible with an emerald crab, but I'm not sure about the pistol shrimp. The pair was 70$ at my lfs! Your thoughts?

Wow what kind of goby was it? That seems steep for a pair. When I had mine I paid $35 for them and it was hi fin red stripe goby with a candy cane pistol

I truly don't know. The prices are a bit high at my LFS, like my clown pair was 40$, and it was 1.67$ per turbo.

Back
Top Bottom