Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shirmp as first addition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gal nano reef, that has been running for about 6 months with no fish. It has about 15 lbs of LR in it, most small peices wit a lot of surface area.

I just got a 96 wt CF light(9.6 watts per gallon...SPS! (y) )

I havent added any fish yet, but was thinking about adding a shrimp first.

The reason I want to do so is that I am hoping a shrimp will produce less waste than a fish for now, untill I get all the corals in the tank, as I DO NOT WANT anything to go wrong with this tank. I am RELIGOUS about water changes, 25% weekly RO/DI. I just want to take baby steps, and I though a shrimp might be a smaller step than adding a fish or two(as I plan on keeping a pair of black percs).

Would this be OK, or should I add the coral first?

Go with the shrimp, I'm just not sure if you would want to get a cleaner shrimp as I know these little guys hold a hefty price. You could try a CBS, peppermint shrimp, or a fire shrimp.

There wouldn't be anything wrong with a scarlet skunk cleaner it's just I wouldn't want you to lose money on your first shrimp.

But maybe your LFS sells them for a cheap price or you really don't care but if you do go ahead and get a scarlet, I would recommend a pair of shrimp.

HTH

So two scarlets?....Not to bad! I would like more stock in the tank, but nothing is worth overstocking to me....I would rather have a stable tank with nothing in it that watch it crash just so I can have a fish or two!

So, two scarlets, and two black percs....OK for a 10 gal nano reef?

Will the scarlets fight if I add them seperatley?

Sounds good to me. With no fish in there you`ll need to drop a few flakes in there every few days so he can have something to eat. Nothing wrong with that type of shrimp but I would stay away from the coral banded shrimp in a nano as they are hard to get along sometimes. Also I am going to move this post to the nano forum so as to get answers from those that know. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom