Sea Urchins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have experience with these creatures in there little bio cubes etc?

My LFS has a tiny purple and pink pin cushion urchin I was thinking of getting it. Not sure what there purpose is and don't really see much about them.

Thanks.

They're just cool little dudes! If you have a reef tank they will pick up frags or pieces of plant etc. to camoflauge themselves.

Tropicallie said:
They're just cool little dudes! If you have a reef tank they will pick up frags or pieces of plant etc. to camoflauge themselves.

Really that's cool! Sounds like of I do get one I better make sure my frags are in there place and can't be moved! I'd really like to get this one as its small and cool looking. What do they eat?

Convict2161 said:
Really that's cool! Sounds like of I do get one I better make sure my frags are in there place and can't be moved! I'd really like to get this one as its small and cool looking. What do they eat?

Sea urchins eat plant and animal matter, like kelp, decaying matter, algae, dead fish, sponges, mussels, and barnacles. I work at a LFS and we have one in our coral tank that just grazes on the bottom and he's been there a long time healthy and happy!

I may have to get this little guy. Pink and purple. I think it's called a pin cushion or pin sea urchin it's pretty small and looks like a golf ball with prickly things around it. I wonder if it would do well in my tank.

Convict2161 said:
I may have to get this little guy. Pink and purple. I think it's called a pin cushion or pin sea urchin it's pretty small and looks like a golf ball with prickly things around it. I wonder if it would do well in my tank.

What kind of tank do you have?

Bio cube 29. Been up since December. The urchin is probably the size of a golf ball or a little smaller. Here's a vid of my tank! :)

Tropicallie said:
Wow that's beautiful! The only problem might be that there isn't a whole lot of grazing space for him.

Thanks! Maybe I'll just hold on the urchin then. But it sure is cool looking!

Back
Top Bottom