SEAHORSE THREAD : info, tips, and experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUEaquarium06

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I wanted to start a thread for seahorses, seahorse owners, and anyone who is considering buying seahorses. I see there are a pretty decent number of people who ask questions about them bit there isn't many people oh this forum who keep them, because of this I wanted to make a set location to solidify the few people that keep them and make it an easy place for anyone interested in them to get some information. I just started keeping them a few days ago, I am far from an expert, but I have been reading and researching for weeks now and I think I have my knowledge pretty accurate

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a pair of Hippocampus kuda that I hope will breed in the future once they mature, they have a 29 gallon tank, live rock, macro algae, and some corals. They are tank bred and eat frozen foods. I built a diy feeding station that I have been training them to use and they are getting the hang of it. In my opinion a feeding station is incredibly helpful because it allows you to see how much did they are eating and easily take out the extra food

Here are some pictures of my little guys

Attachments

• 1430166932416.jpg
    1430166932416.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 1430166949546.jpg
    1430166949546.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 1430167040098.jpg
    1430167040098.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 186
Here are some pictures of my little guys

Those are absolutely gorgeous! Such graceful looking creatures ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Those are absolutely gorgeous! Such graceful looking creatures ☺

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Thank you! They really are, just so relaxed and peaceful. While I've been trying to teach them how to eat out of the feeding station I put the food on the tube and then gently guided them with my hand, and unlike most fish they just wrap their tails around my fingers and eat the food while having on my fingers

Seahorses are so beautiful, I've always liked them. Our LFS has a few. I hope to keep some one day (not anytime soon, not ready for saltwater yet!).

Beautiful seahorses you have there! :)

My mom thinks they're really cool and is considering getting a small 10 gallon for them, what is the smallest sea horse out there that could comfortably be kept in a 10 gallon? It's more of a creative idea than an actual plan. Just wondering.

My mom thinks they're really cool and is considering getting a small 10 gallon for them, what is the smallest sea horse out there that could comfortably be kept in a 10 gallon? It's more of a creative idea than an actual plan. Just wondering.

I have kudas, which get to be around 6-7 inches. Dwarf seahorses, (Hippocampus zosterae) are I believe the smallest ones you can easily obtain. You can keep about 5-10 in a 10 gallon. I have never kept any seahorses besides my two little guys in there. I have read that dwarf seahorses are slightly harder to care for, they are a little more fragile, they can't handle much flow at all, and water parameters must be on point. I honestly font think seahorses ate that hard to care for, to me it's very simple it just requires a lot of work, like several feedings a day and specialized environment, and siphoning out food after every feeding

Thanks Blue! I'll let my mom know. We were at the LFS the other day when she noticed them in a pico reef, 3 gallons, and started asking questions. They said that 3-4 could live happily in there their whole lives, but I seriously doubt that. Anyway, thanks for the reply! Hopefully my mom still want to do this! :brows:

This is mine and "Blues" seahorse, most likely this one is Daphne, riding our snail we also have in the tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430236411.781235.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

A quick update on our seahorses, they are eating gray, they have fish so much more active and they seem to be a lot happier. The male uses the feeder, the female does not but now they are beginning to spend more time together than they originally did

Attachments

• 1430774025877.jpg
    1430774025877.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 1430774051892.jpg
    1430774051892.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 1430774063751.jpg
    1430774063751.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 167
can any one help,
I have a male seahorse who has been showing signs of having babies, by twitching and his pouch opens up when he is pushing back wards and forwards. This has been going on for two nights.
Please can someone tell me if this is normal?
How long dose it take for them to give birth once labor has started?
this is his first time.

can any one help,
I have a male seahorse who has been showing signs of having babies, by twitching and his pouch opens up when he is pushing back wards and forwards. This has been going on for two nights.
Please can someone tell me if this is normal?
How long dose it take for them to give birth once labor has started?
this is his first time.
I'm far from a seahorse expert and I no longer keep them. But from my understanding the makes give birth in less than a day. By that I mean labor is fairly short for them. Is there other seahorses in the tank with him? If so are any of them showing signs of stress? He could be puffing himself up to show that he is ready to mate and show off for the ladies. There are a couple different things that it could be, but if its been lasting a couple days it is almost definitely not labor

I'm far from a seahorse expert and I no longer keep them. But from my understanding the makes give birth in less than a day. By that I mean labor is fairly short for them. Is there other seahorses in the tank with him? If so are any of them showing signs of stress? He could be puffing himself up to show that he is ready to mate and show off for the ladies. There are a couple different things that it could be, but if its been lasting a couple days it is almost definitely not labor

Thank you. Yes he has his girlfriend in with him. Tested the water an all is good an d nothing new in tank or change so dont know what could be stressing him

Back
Top Bottom