Seriously thinking about a 5gall nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I keep looking at my icky-looking 5gall (that is right next to the comp.) and keep looking at every one's awesome pics... and just keep thinking how much better It would be if it was a nano reef.... (it is currently my like..."throw away tank" I just put all my extra plants in it and it looks terrible)...and it wouldn't be tooo terribly hard to make into a mini reef.....(just with lower lights..) ... I mean I have the tank (thats it LOL) it is this look and shape but only a 5gall not 12 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=3865&N=2004+62760 but the light I "would" get is a coralife 2x9 watt - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11382&N=2004+113345 and was just curious to know what all would be diff. than my 29gall....I would just get about 3 pounds of LR then some other kind of rock... and I would just put 1, maybe 2 little clown goby's (maybe one yellow and one black..I think they are sooo cute) and maybe like 5 mini hermits and a shrimp..... my only prob. would be getting sand without getting tooo much sand, as the only sand that either of my LFS cary is the 20 and 40 pound bags.... :( oh well... anyways I was just curious...also, my birthday is like in like 25 day's..... and I was showing this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15493&N=2004+62760 to my dad, and he said it looked nice, and I said, well it would be a nice b-day present...and he diddnt say anything 8O (he usually objects, and pitches a fit...) and I would much rather go with that as I like the look of it, and the 5gall could be my sisters (could have her dalmatians balloon molly..she loves it :roll: ) anyways...just wanted to get ya'lls opinions :)

Sounds like a plan to me. Those pico tanks look really nice, but just realize that they are a lot of work, especially when you get livestock in it. Namely, in keep the temperature correct and the salinity correct. I heard a joke made one time about how nano-tank people must be obsessed with topping off and stand next to the tank every hour, on the hour to top off. It's a huge exaggeration, but daily top offs would be required I would think. So if you willing to put the attention into it, go for it!

I have the time....(homeschooled) and I keep telling them it could be part of biology lol, I really like the 3gall cause I could upgrade the light to get 6wpg but if that doesnt happen I think the 5gall will due, that will be almost 4wpg..... although this wont happen till the summer...just wanted to get some input etc. so thanks for the reply!

temp control is my biggest battle. I have a little 7.5watt heater in my tank and it will raise the temp maybe 3-4 degress above room temp. With the ligghts on it get to about 79, at night it drops to about 76. I like the idea of using this for a biology project. I expect to see a paper posted here on nature's nitogen cycle! If you do set this up as a home school project you may be able to get a lot of the stuff tax-exempt. Something to look into. The substrate may be a problem. When I set up my pico I asked the LFS for some LS out of one of their established tanks and they gave me enough to fill my pico.

lando said:
temp control is my biggest battle. I have a little 7.5watt heater in my tank and it will raise the temp maybe 3-4 degress above room temp. With the ligghts on it get to about 79, at night it drops to about 76. I like the idea of using this for a biology project. I expect to see a paper posted here on nature's nitogen cycle! If you do set this up as a home school project you may be able to get a lot of the stuff tax-exempt. Something to look into. The substrate may be a problem. When I set up my pico I asked the LFS for some LS out of one of their established tanks and they gave me enough to fill my pico.
I would have to find a heater but........ I think I can do it :D
if I did this I would deff. be writing biology papers :D :roll:
thanks for the support :D

this is a little off subject, but its cool that ur homeschooled. i was too; using saxon math, and abeka with most everything else. good job man!

I used saxon until this year!
well the 5gall plan is still on y'all! I have everything but some subtrate!

Back
Top Bottom