Setting up final stocking list for 5 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I am supposed to pick up the cleaning crew this weekend, then wait at least a week or longer until water stabilizes again to get fish.

These are the two fish I would like

1) Hi Fin Red Banded Goby--http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=181

2) Red Striped Goby--http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1728

Those are the ultimate goal. Because the Hi Fin is a Pistol Goby, As part of my cleaning crew I would like to have a pistol shrimp, albeit a small one. this is one of the pistols I found, the smallest get up to 2 inches. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=704&N=0

I also would like either a peppermint or bumble-be shrimp. the pepperment it says gets to 2 inch, the bumble bee 1, but it says that 2 bumble bees is best?
I imagine I would need 1 or two snails, nessarius?

I already have a crab that hitchhiked his way in, I am still trying to determine species, and may bring him back to the LFS and trade him for part of my cleaning crew. I already have some small snails that where on the live rock, and some bristleworms it seems.

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with this, and what woul dneed to be changed, thankyou much.

Is there any chance you could get a 10G tank? I think those two gobys might have a problem in the same 5G tank. Both are suggested to be in a min 10G tank, plus with the shrimp, you may have space issues.

I do have a 10 gallon lyin around, but for the time being, no where to put it. I am currently limited by footprint space until I can make some extra shelving in the corner of the room behind where my 5 gallon is...all my college books are piled on teh floor there as well cause I dont have enough.

Would it be possible to get them now with intentions to upgrade at a later date? I already have another filter for the 10 gallon, enough argonite for the 10, some lighting fo rhte 10 (50 watts of 10K white light, versus the 96 watts of 10k and actinic some people use) I also have lighting to hc ange it to 40 watts of 50/50 10K/actinic. Also have plenty of salt..have enough for 50 gallons accordin to the bag, and I have only used enough for the 5 gallon.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. If you are determined I would only start with the 1 fish, possibly the shrimp goby. Taking a quick look, I haven't seen many fish that would be comfy in a 5G, hopefully some of the nano experts can be of more assistance. How long before you plan the upgrade?

Should be no more than a few months. Kinda depends when I can afford to get a large shelving unit, or conince the folks to spare me some change :/

If I had to do with one, I would prolly actaully get the red striped, and with taht way, I would not need/deisre to ge tthe pistol shrimp right away as well, and thus lessen the bio load some more.

With only the red-striped, and no hi-fin, would I be able to get 2 red-striped at only an inch long max? this would be with deleting the pistol shrimp as well (It did say that small groups or pairs do better)

I think that might be taking a chance, with two of them. How much LR do you have? Why not just go reef, until you can get the bigger tank? Just plan ahead of what fish you will add, actually, those two will work in a reef environment.

As has been already mentioned, it is a bad idea to put both gobies in that size of a tank. I have seen gobies fight, it isnt pretty. The aggression will most likely start right away and continue until one of them jumps out of the tank due to the harassment or dies from starvation because the dominant one won't let it out of the hole. This behaviour will be multiplied if there are shrimp involved as the goby will be more aggressively guarding the shrimp.

If it is only going to be a few months, then I would suggest waiting until then.

ok so no hi fin and no pistol shrimp for the time being.

The reason I am not going to go only reef or inverts is because I am in the hobby for the fish primarily. Even though I have inverts in all my tanks, and other attractions than just fish, my primary reason for keepin aquariums is for the the fish.

Are two red-striped out of the quistion as well then?

Two red stripe would be ok IF the tank were larger. Recommended tank size for them is 10 gallons. These are one of the few gobies that do well in pairs or small groups.

Well, I am skeptical on the tank sizes that liveaquaria list...they list 10 gallon min tank size for a guppy...

I was wrong liveaquaria does not reccoemend 10 gallons for a guppy...they recoomend 20!! 20 gallons!!

Sorry, can't help you on the guppy, I'm not a "freshie".

oh I am just saying that it is pretty common knowledge that a 10 gallon tank can safely handle about 8 guppies (2 males, 6 females)

OK. you guys suck you know that? haha. I am thinkin I am gonna tear down my 10 gallon planted, dumpin the fish that are in it in my 75 gallon tank. (a GBR, 4 guppies, bristlenose pleco, amano shrimp (the shrimp will become a dinner in a few hours)

My plants arent doin that great atm, I need to spring for an injected CO2 system :/

Anyways, will run it by the gf later today, she will prolyl like it, in her opiion, if I can get it down to 2 main tanks and a breeding tank for feeders, then it is all good. :/ (she doesnt understand I need like 10 tanks for a whole bunch of differant species that dont get along)

OK supposing I do end up just upgrading to the 10 gallon right now. I can get a hi-fin red banded goby with a pistol shrimp, can I get 2 of the red-striped gobies? or do yall recommend some similiar fish I could go with (I want to keep the red-banded/pistl shrimp combo) Would add an emerald crab to the clean up crew, and prolly another shrimp and another snail or two.

What upgrades would be needed in lighting? I currently have avaiable about 225-250gph of flow for the 10 (I have about 175-200 in the 5 gallon) what would I need to upgrade it to? I have 2 80gph powerheads. I also have an in-tank filter lying around somewhere that owuld probably add anotehr 50-75gph of flow to the 10 givin me over 300gph. what am i shooting for? if I need more than that, than I would rather get stronger powerheads

jarred darque said:
The reason I am not going to go only reef or inverts is because I am in the hobby for the fish primarily
Then you have the WRONG size tank. A neon cleaner goby is about the only fish I'd put in a 5 gal tank-and it would be alone. Nano tanks are used primarily to display inverts ie. feather dusters, coral, etc. They do not pollute the water nearly as much as fish. The rule of thumb in SW is 1" of fish for every 5 gallons of water for long term success.

Back
Top Bottom