Setup new 3Gal PicoTope - Advice on maintaining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piconewbie0722

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a week ago a 3 gal picotope just to mainly keep low to medium light corals. Have read a lot of threads on other sites stating how hard they can be with water quality and also stating they are very easy. I work from home fulltime so maintenance is not an issue. I can put up pics if anyone is interested. One guy stated on a very long post that he adds no additives, just daily topoffs and weekly water changes and posted some awesome pics.

I have read articles that state adding Purple Up and Nano Reef A and B should be done.

Just curious what everyone thinks as it seems most people add additives that arent really needed and eventually just give up.
Thx

Chemicals and additives are definitely not needed. Heck, most even stay away from adding chemicals to their tanks. Purple up really is a waste of money since coralline when it is ready, its growth will take off like the plague and eventually everything will be engulfed and covered by the coralline. All the good things that come with a saltwater tank will show up over time. People just created those chemicals like purple-up and biozyme because humans are naturally impatient and want everything handed to them on command and on a silver platter. Just let your tank mature and you will be surprised and amazed at how different and beautiful it will look.

Thanks

that is exactly what i have been doing. topping off daily and 25% weekly water change. the tank and corals look great. i upgraged my light to double the wattage of the light that came with it and i am amazed at how crystal clear the water is.

Good, im glad everything is doing just fine. However, 3G is pretty small and probably is not that deep.. so watch out for the wattage you have over the tank and make sure you are not burning the coral. Most coral are very sensitive to light so too much of a good thing.. can turn in to a bad thing. I'm not sure how many watts over a 3G is proper.. but i couldn't imagine anything being over 25W too particularly good for a tank that small. I could be wrong, but i know some 20G tanks that have 40W fixtures over their tanks and they can house some of the more intense and light craving coral. So just keep that in mind.. and keep an eye on your coral.

The tank came with a 9W 50/50 and I upgraded to a 18W that sits about 4-5 inches over the tank. I have talked to another guy that ugraded to 24W and his pics are awesome, so I should be safe.

Yeah, you definitely should be fine, if not perfect. Sounds like the correct amount of light for a multitudinous range of coral. You really should set up some pictures because myself and other members would love to see your pico tank. I think nano tanks are very exciting. Wanted to do one myself, but was pressured in to using my foolish 55G tank.. which now is a huge mess that i am trying to get rid of as well as everything inside of it. But mainly for money reasons more than anything. But enough of my rant.. Remember to throw some pics up here! ;D

Yea, I will do that as I have some awesome pics. Tank has been up for about 6-7 weeks now and beside topping off, water changes, and cleaning the inside glass I have not done anything else with the tank. Will try to post pics this weekend.

The reason I went with a pico was basically the cost which is very cheap and to give it another try. I too started with a larger tank and finally just gave up. Too much reading and way too much unnecessary things being done. Like they say "keep it simple".

Back
Top Bottom