Shane's 20 gallon Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buddha_red

Aquarium Advice FINatic
img_933052_0_fd90fa628a8fb51705d21ee9da8cc32d.jpg

20g High tank
Stealth Heater 100W
(2) Koralia Water Circulation Nano Pumps 240 gph

Aquaclear 30 with live rock rubble
Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights 24" - 96 watts

30 lbs Aragonite sand
20 lbs live rock Fiji branch

Ocellaris Clown fish (Amphiprion ocellaris) x 2

Nassarius Snails (Nassarius sp.) x 5

Nerite Snails (Nerita sp.) x 2

Cerith Snails (Cerithium sp.) x 2

==================
Date 12/15/2008
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
PH 8.2
SG 1.024
Temp: 79.6F
==================

Once i can safely do so, i will be converting this FOWLR into a nano reef.
I just wanted to make an official thread here so i can begin to document post cycle issues. I just finished my cycle with live rock recently, so my tank is still very young. I will update this as time progresses.

I wish i could start right away, but i know i can't... yet. I am staying busy by researching and learning all i can about the different lower light corals.
My favorite colors are red and yellow, it would be neat to find some poylps in those colors.

does anyone have any suggestions based on what my aquarium looks like on the topic of coral selection? I am looking for vibrant colors for the amount of light i have.

any suggestions are welcome

20g High tank $FREE
Stealth Heater 100W $19.00
(2) Koralia Water Circulation Nano Pumps 240 gph $55.00
Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights 24" - 96 watts $157.00
Aquaclear 30 $40.00
75GPD RO DI filter $130.00
Saltwater Test Kit $17.00
Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer $39.00
30 lbs Aragonite sand $24.00
22 lbs live rock Fiji branch $99.00

$580 for it all

20g High tank $FREE
Stealth Heater 100W $19.00
(2) Koralia Water Circulation Nano Pumps 240 gph $55.00
Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights 24" - 96 watts $157.00
Aquaclear 30 $40.00
75GPD RO DI filter $130.00
Saltwater Test Kit $17.00
Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer $39.00
30 lbs Aragonite sand $24.00
22 lbs live rock Fiji branch $99.00

$580 for it all

I guess it doesn't seem horribley bad. I was just wondering since I might set one up after my shrimp breeding and selling takes off.

Im excited about this tank. It has alot of potential. I just need some suggestions on corals that would look nice. Id like to find colors to compliment the clowns if possible.

I would start with some zoanthids. They come in a ton of colors and are easy to care for. Will do well under that light.

Well don't ask me man, the only thing I know about salt water tanks is the equipment you need, besides that I know nothing. :D Just curious about the price because I might get into some saltwater later on in the summer or next fall.

Ive been looking at zoas, they are indeed pretty. Im searching for good frags. I havent found anything local worth taking home. how do they handle being shipped?

Zoas do very well when shipped. I've had them overnighted as well as regular mailed to me with no issues. I've never lost one from shipping.

Shane, check out our images and see if there is anything you like. Then you can ask us and we can tell you if they are hardy enough for a new tank. I have alot of good starter corals in my tank if you want to check out my images.

i just love your tank! I would love anything close to yours. i have a T5 24 inch light so im limited in what i can choose.

Are my lights classified as moderate?

can i choose from?
SPS, LPS, Soft Corals,

Well considering that you have a Nova extreme your lighting should be efficient enough for almost anything as required your lighting should be anywhere from 1-2 watts per gallon. But depending if you want to do hard corals to you might need a little bit more lighting.

i have a total of 96 watts with my Nova Extreme. 460nm Actinic and 10000°K T-5 HO lamps four bulbs in total. by my math i have 4.8 watts per gallon if i use all bulbs at once.

i kinda figured i couldnt go with hard corals, im wanting to go with lots of colors so im thinking about a mushroom or two and some zoas.

there are so many corals to choose from, its hard to decide what would look good in my tank, thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom