Sheps 5 gallon sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I came home from school today and my tank is nuked. So I'm guessing the bacteria couldn't keep up? Mini cycle? And since my tank is so small it just couldn't handle it. All my coral is bleached my fish is dead snails are looking bad. What do I do?

Shep

I checked the parameters and everything was normal. Could it have been my silicon? Or pvc cement? There's a foamy substance in my sump.

Shep

How would your silicone or pvc cement cause it if it was dry? Our systems are built out of all of this stuff. It shouldn't cause any issues at all. I've even used not fully dry both and run water through it on an established tank without issues.

Yea I didn't think it was that. I just don't want to leave anything out. Do you think my zoas and monti cap will recover?

Shep

if everything is dying and there is foaming in the sump, something contaminated the water.
Think of any possible suspect items, hand lotion/soap on your hands/ little brother or sister/ mom spray some cleaner or air freshener/pets, anything that could have caused it?

a die off that rapid, I'm assuming 6 hours or so if they were good in the morning, suggests the tank got poisoned somehow.

So how should I go about fixing this? Drain the sump and fill it back up? I did a large water change.

Shep

if possible you should run some quality activated carbon in the filter to remove any possible contaminants from the water.

Okay I'll run some carbon, should I turn the sump back on and run the carbon? Or run it on the HOB in the dt only?

Shep

Alright I'm running carbon, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the advice!

Shep

My zoas are looking better, my monti cap on the other hand I have little faith in that making a recovery.

Shep

Back
Top Bottom