Sheps rebuilding the nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nshepler

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So as some of you know I recently nuked my tank by accident. So instead of dwelling on how much that sucked I started thinking I could now take my nano in a whole different direction. I'm thinking of doing a heavy LPS system with a few softies and maybe some SPS. As for fish I honestly don't know what I want to put in. Im more interested in coral for this small of a tank. My DT is 11.5 inch square and I believe it's 7 gallons. I am running a 5 gallon sump/fuge. The first step of my rebuild is going to be adding more live rock in the DT for more structure. I'll be posting pics later today. My light is a par38 led. I still have a small colony of radioactive dragon eyes and colony of Rastas. Other than that my tank is completely empty other than one turbo snail I was able to save and a few hermits that toughed it out. If anyone has any suggestions questions or concern just let me know. I am by no means an expert and I love to learn about this amazing hobby we all enjoy.

Shep

These are the corals I've been thinking about so far. My LFS does a 10 frags for 50 bucks deal so I'm working towards that.

Birds nest
Torch
Hammer or frogspawn
Pulsing Xenia
Green star polyps
Duncan
Monti cap

Shep

Here's my tank as it sits today reminds me of Chernobyl. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430431509.706258.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430431544.619051.jpg

Shep

Okay so I'm looking to upgrade my pumps, should I get the koralina 240?

Shep

Today I ordered my Hydor 240 and 8 more pounds of live rock. I'll post aquascape in a few days hopefully.

Shep

Do you think with the 240 the flow will be good for some of the easier SPS? Like birds nest and monti cap?

Shep

I think I did the math correctly lol. I think it would be just under 50%. I'm terrible at math though so that possibly could be wrong.

Shep

Alright here's the new scape. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431651333.588758.jpg Tell me what you think!

Shep

Looks good, I like the height distribution, you have a lot of middle of the tank height. For fish, I'm picking up (hopefully tomorrow) some neon blue gobies. You could do a small school of them, their bio load is really small. They are pretty cool too, one of my LFSs has them in his display tank and he showed me if you put your hand in they will "clean it" similar to a cleaner shrimp. How far along are you on cycling? Other frags... Maybe trumpet/candy cane, chalice, laptestrea, suncoral, ricordea and of course acans!!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks sand dollar I'll research that, but this tank is about 6 months old. It's fully cycled I'm going to start adding corals this weekend I'll keep you all updated. How many neon blue gobies do you think I could manage? I want to keep the water quality as good as possible. But here's an updated list of corals I'm thinking about

Birds nest
Torch
Hammer
Pulsing Xenia
Green star polyps
Duncan
Monti cap
Wall frogspawn
Leonardo zoas
Lucifer zoas
Candy cane
Australian elegance
Cyphastrea

Shep

My guy (& he isn't like a regular LFS trying to sell you anything so I feel I can trust him) said about 4 of them would have about the same bioload of one ocellaris clown. The only issue is if you want to just do three or four them it needs to be just one male and others female but groups larger than that tend to tolerate each other. I'm just going to do two since I have/want some other fish. You can't tel the sex but he said typically once they are in the tank a few hours they will start to pair off so you can tell which ones should get along. Can't wait to see what you pick up! I love elegance but think I'm out of room or would need a very very small one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yea I'll do some research thanks for the info. I'm going to a reef expo this weekend so I'm sure something new will be added this weekend. I'll post pics!

Shep

Back
Top Bottom