Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are shrimp sensative and difficult to keep in a nanoreef? We have a really nice fire shrimp at work that i might want to purchase. Hes abnormaly
Large and he eats frozen krill which i find to be unusual. Any input?

Most shrimp should be fine IMO. Just don't overstock with them. They will carry a bio load like any other livestock. Just research compatibility with the other tank mates. Right now I just have a small peppermint for a couple of apstaisia I hope he'll eat.

Personally, i would never drop that much money on an invert. I have never killed a fish, but i have killed 2 shrimp. Makes no sence to me. They die randomly. If you really want one, start off with a cheap one like a peppermint to see how things go... Haha good luck :)

Sounds good. The fire shrimp we have for sale is $64!!!! I can get him for $30 but even thats a lot ti drop on something i dont know much about

Jacobsal91 said:
Sounds good. The fire shrimp we have for sale is $64!!!! I can get him for $30 but even thats a lot ti drop on something i dont know much about

That is honestly the biggest rip off i have ever heard. Haha

Never had a problem with shrimp, I have three peppermint and one lined cleaner, which set me back $160 but he's fun to play with, can't help jumping on my hand.

Pryzz said:
Never had a problem with shrimp, I have three peppermint and one lined cleaner, which set me back $160 but he's fun to play with, can't help jumping on my hand.

I'm going to get a cleaner today and trade in my coral banded. I got a yellow watchman goby last night and looked over in to the tank the coral banded had snuck up be hind him and grabbed his tail and pulled him. He was dead by the time I got my hand in the tank to scare the shrimp

Yeah, I'll never get a coral banded if I have smaller fish. Can't trust em.

Pryzz said:
Yeah, I'll never get a coral banded if I have smaller fish. Can't trust em.

I was so firkin mad. If I didn't have respect for animals he would have been flushed along with his pour victim. I took out the gody I wasn't letting him get the meal

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've tried keeping Xenia coral twice, both times my reef safe wrasse destroys them. Dunno why, he is just a turd I think.

Pryzz said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I've tried keeping Xenia coral twice, both times my reef safe wrasse destroys them. Dunno why, he is just a turd I think.

Now the fun part of trying to catch him. Hoping if I put a little food in he won't be able to help himself

I have a large fire shrimp and it is actually one of the most personality filled shrimps I got. Not to mention it is quite hardy. I keep adding peppermint shrimps but can only seem to keep one at a time. I don't know why but I try to keep three and always the same one is left and the others are gone. I have no predator fish so either another shrimp doesn't like them or they die for another reason and get consumed. As far as the fire shrimp goes you can buy large ones online for around $30. I wouldn't pay $64 that's for sure. Mine will even crawl into my anemone to steal food from it. It eats everything from frozen, freeze-dried, flake, pellet, live brine, etc. I highly recommend them. Also it stays out during the daylight hours too so you can appreciate it's bright colors and unique behavior. I will add another at some point.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
That is honestly the biggest rip off i have ever heard. Haha

Yeah hes really expensive.. But my
Discount cuts it in half for me so im willing to spend 30 hhaah thanks for all the input everyone might just get a peppermint shrimp just to be safe

22engine said:
Now the fun part of trying to catch him. Hoping if I put a little food in he won't be able to help himself

Haha, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom