SoTs nano. o.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SonOfTucson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started a little project...
~I have a 10 gallon tank..
in it:
•LFS made salt water
•Topfin power head 30
•10 watt beta heater
•10 lbs live sand (super naturals)
•5 lbs of Fiji live rock (I will add more)
• home made sump out of .5' PVC
~The sump leads to a 5 gallon with:
•aquaclear 10 HOB
•150 watt marineland heater - water currently at 78°f
• power head (225gal/hr)
•biocube protein skimmer (size 14, 29, and HQI)
Its been running since 11.7.14...
I do not have the protein skimmer powered on - was going to wait for foam to build. the sump is working fine...haven't had five gallons on the floor yet. Hoping to get some insight, first SW tank. Let me know what you think, and if my whole Frankenstein set up is necessary. Gracias, asta!

Sent from my XT1030 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1415667385291.jpg
    1415667385291.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 1415667398236.jpg
    1415667398236.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 117
When you do use that protein skimmer let me know how it works and if you like it! I'm looking at getting one myself for my 20G :)

Sent from my iPhone.

I would raise the water lvl in your sump about 1.5 inches that way you will have less splash from the HOB other than that it's looking great.

iPhone 5s has taking over lol

When you do use that protein skimmer let me know how it works and if you like it! I'm looking at getting one myself for my 20G :)

Sent from my iPhone.

Of course!

gracias por las respuestas, thank for the replies! I'll post updates in this thread ~ asta!

No idea haha. Water has been 78°f since set up so It just happens to work out ~

i am SoT o.0
~fish&surf~

Would anyone know if I can use the freshwater API test kit with salt water ? Google seems to have mixed opinions. gracias~

i am SoT o.0
~fish&surf~

I would not recommend this skimmer - you need a limestone air stone, which is very hard to find. I have no other skimmer to compare this too, but all in all it seems to be a waste of $35 bucks....you get what you pay for...

i am SoT o.0
~fish&surf~

You are correct, I miss spoke - it is in fact limewood - and no, my LFS unfortunately does not carry them.

I am SoT.
~fish&surf~

Added 5 more lbs of Fiji live rock to the main tank, threw 1.5 down in the sump.

I am SoT.
~fish&surf~

Attachments

• 1416169773028.jpg
    1416169773028.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 80
Need some insight from you experienced aquarists... I have a set of current fresh water LEDs - they put out 600 lumens. Found a lumen to watt converter on google and I apparently have 10 watts under these lights. Would 10 watts be sufficient with 10 gallons if I intend on starting with low light corals? Gracias~

I am SoT.
~fish&surf~

This is not happening anytime soon BTW, just trying to get a jump on this project

I am SoT.
~fish&surf~

The current lights will limit you to low light softies. For the money, their not worth it. A simple par38 from reefkoi or coralcompulsion will be cheaper and allow you to keep a greater diversity of coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good morning ~ came home from work and I found all this algae on the LR I had in the longest. Google is telling me to take a tooth brush to it. What do you think? The picture might not do justice, but I believe its hair algae, its growing on the back side of the rock, not much light on it...I have not had the opportunity to do a water change in 3 days..

I am SoT.
~fish&surf~

Attachments

• 1416572345738.jpg
    1416572345738.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 64
if you toothbrush it do it outside of the tank in another container. Then rinse the rock off with tank water before putting it back in. That way no algae floats around, settles, and regrows.

Matt is right I would do a three bucket system one for scrubbing one for first rinse and the last for rinse to make sure everything is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom