Speeding up cycle process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are some ways I could speed up the nitrogen cycle in my 5.5 gallon? I already have more than enough liverock and a bed of livesand in place. I've heard of adding flake food or pieces of shrimp to feed the bacteria with the ammonia they create, are methods like these reliable? Not trying to sound impatient, the recommended 4 to 6 weeks just seems pretty long considering I started stocking my freshwater tank after less than 2.

Cycles really do vary. My 3g took ~2 weeks, I've heard of them taking 2 months.

You definitely need to kickstart your cycle, I used frozen brine shrimp, most common method is to take a filter sock (or pantyhose), put a whole uncooked shrimp in, and let it rot until there is about 4ppm ammo. Then take it out and let the rest of the cycle happen!

Btw, there isn't really anything you could (or should) do to "speed up" your cycle.

Sorry, didn't finish that last post.

Anyway, some people have tried bacteria additives, but it's really a hit or miss and really not that great IMO.

I must say I'm not sure whether avg cycle times vary between salt and fresh, but as many people can tell you nothing good happens fast in this hobby!

Waiting and letting the cycle take its full course without rushing it is the best way to ensure you have a healthy tank far into the future :)

Patience is the key in sw. Throw a raw shrimp in and wait for the cycle to complete.

Would regular flake food work as well to kickstart the ammonia buildup?

Would regular flake food work as well to kickstart the ammonia buildup?

Yes but it tends to not be enough to drive ammonia high enough. The shrimp method is bulletproof really. But I guess the tank is tiny so it could work. Just test to see how high ammonia rises

Flake food may add phosphate to the water too, which will fuel a big algae bloom at the end of the cycle.

Well, there is one product that I have found works to speed up your cycle. That's Dr. Tim's one and only, if followed correctly it can cycle your tank in 6 days I believe. A little pricey, but it works. It's best to order it straight from him.

Now I think a natural cycle is the way to go, but that's a valid choice too.

Today I got some frozen brine shrimp so I'm gonna try that, do I need to raise the temperature?

Back
Top Bottom