Spirorbid worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whobe143

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just set up my new 10 gallon nano reef And after the first day I noticed that there was some small white stringy things on my LR and then I saw small spirals so I researched and found they were Spirorbid worms. All I want to know is, is that if I should keep or remove these.

They are harmless, but if there are tons of them they could begin to irritate corals. The white stringy stuff could close up polyps etc..

Zer0 said:
They are harmless, but if there are tons of them they could begin to irritate corals. The white stringy stuff could close up polyps etc..

Is it advised that u scrub them off all together?

You could if you wanted to. But they may or may not multiply to ridiculous amounts. It all depends on the food source available in your tank.

Zer0 said:
You could if you wanted to. But they may or may not multiply to ridiculous amounts. It all depends on the food source available in your tank.

Well day three they were everywhere now I can't find a live one but there is something new it looks like a super tiny bug zipping around my LR

Those are probably copepods. The are beneficial hitch hikers I have them all over 2.5 gal nano.

Badfishofbabylon said:
Those are probably copepods. The are beneficial hitch hikers I have them all over 2.5 gal nano.

Thats great I bought some LR from petco to resolve some issues weather their LR was good or bad, so far good but it crumbled a bit the first day I brought it home.

This is a wired night some white worms I think are jumping from my LR is this natural?

Zer0 said:
Pictures would be nice.

I don't have a camera with me but it's strange it happened twice I just saw a white thread like thing pop out of the LR

Could be more spirorbid worms, and they are just hidden inside of the rocks... Or it could be spaghetti worms. Not really sure without a picture, and "white thread like" is pretty vague unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom