Started my tank! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just stay with what you have and see how you like it. Down the road you can upgrade to something bigger and just move over the rock to the new tank. For such a small tank I don't expect there to be a long cycle but I would definitely wait till your parameters are stable.

yeah, thats what i was thinking^, the only reason i would upgrade is if i saw a REALLY good deal.

i might slowly buy the new supplies like sand and the tank

my area not so much and they are always asking so much for stuff

You would be surprised by what they will take. Look on my profile, the 65 gallon was 300 bucks, that was with the sump, skimmer, lights, rock, everything. My 35 gallon Hex tank was 100 bucks with the Magnum 350 canister and PC lighting.

i will keep looking.

i will probably just buy the stuff slowly like first buy sand then buy a big salt container when i run out. then buy the tank then last the LR.

Yeah, I can tell you from experience, hex tanks suck for salt water. The shape just doesn't work for reefs, liverock, it just doesn't work. I tried for the last year, but the maintenance is a pain.

Yeah, I can tell you from experience, hex tanks suck for salt water. The shape just doesn't work for reefs, liverock, it just doesn't work. I tried for the last year, but the maintenance is a pain.

my plan is to spread out the purchases over a monthish

What would your budget be? The best way to start would be to decide what kind of fish you want to keep. From there it is easier to determine how big of a system you need, and you can kind of set your budget from there. For example Tangs need large tanks, as in 75 MINIMUM and up. Lions and Triggers need 65 and up. Clowns, hawkfish, blennies, dwarf angels, can be kept in relatively small systems. But as it has been pointed out, the larger tanks are much easier to care for. The system is much more stable then a small tank.

What would your budget be? The best way to start would be to decide what kind of fish you want to keep. From there it is easier to determine how big of a system you need, and you can kind of set your budget from there. For example Tangs need large tanks, as in 75 MINIMUM and up. Lions and Triggers need 65 and up. Clowns, hawkfish, blennies, dwarf angels, can be kept in relatively small systems. But as it has been pointed out, the larger tanks are much easier to care for. The system is much more stable then a small tank.

my budget to buy all the new stuff would be about $80 loll, im only 15 with not job yet (no one hires in my area until your 16) so i dont have that much to spend loll

lol, I hear ya. Gotta get mo money, this hobby is addictive. I have learned that the hard way. Just be patient, save what you can, but I would definitely look around. Try to find a tank listed for 100-150 on Craigslist. You would be surprised how many times people will take significantly less then they want.

lol, I hear ya. Gotta get mo money, this hobby is addictive. I have learned that the hard way. Just be patient, save what you can, but I would definitely look around. Try to find a tank listed for 100-150 on Craigslist. You would be surprised how many times people will take significantly less then they want.

im addicted already , this is like my 5th tank... :)

but if they don't follow direction, they crash and burn. then you see their stuff on craigslist. the trouble is, it's the livestock that suffers more than the keepers wallet. do your research!

got live rock today :)
i got about 3-3.5 pounds for $17 and here are some pics:
img_1234286_0_ef442cc0676d05deeb5c40570a0b9176.jpg

img_1234286_1_22a6bb7a432a075532343744fd270aeb.jpg

any suggestions?

well thats less than $6/lb, which where i am is a nice price, i was lucky to find it at around $6.50/lb at a LFS

Back
Top Bottom