stocking ideas, i want another clown but..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairenoid

Aquarium Advice Freak
20 long with 20lb live rock, 25 lb sand, ~5-6 months established
I had a clownfish but he stopped eating after i introduced a small midas blenny, they were both tiny.

Right now i have
midas blenny(skinny and on the smaller size)
yellow watchman(pretty big)
2 nassarius snails (just got, have barely seen them at all though not sure if they are healthy, also they might be super sized)
1 tiger conch
1 peppermint shrimp(i want to add a skunk cleaner too possibly)
5 hermit crabs
2 nerite snails
pulsing xenia, green mushroom, green button polyp, and GSP.

i love my tank right now, there is always activity going on, however, there is not a lot of swimming! I thought the midas blenny would be very fun to watch but he kind of is not, he ONLY swims on the left side of the tank, im not sure if my 750 koralia is too powerful for him but i heard midas like flow, so thats why i got him. Anyways he swims a lot but only in the one side of the tank, i miss watching my clownfish explore the entire tank

i want to add another, if i do, what size and breed should i get? i want the least aggressive kind possible. I think my clownfish was aggressive because he was the only thing in the tank for maybe 2 months, and right when the midas came in he started nipping at him. I am kind of hesitant as maybe my midas doesnt like clownfish since the first one kept bothering him, if that is the case, any safe fishes to add? i am not going to get a firefish either because to me they are the most boring fish. I would prefer something that swims mid level around the whole tank, and blue would be nice

would a pair of clownfish be too much?

Chromis, damsels, and blue tang are fish that fit your description. However, damsels are of course very territorial, and no tang should be in a nano (especially a blue tang) so that leaves the chromis. A pair of clowns would be too much IMO if you already have the blenny. 1 clown would be better and they are active. False perculas are peaceful.

alright i think ill go check out the clownfish, im okay with that, ill try to find a small one but not too small to get bullied. Is there a reason why some are more dark red and some are more orange? my last one was a bit on the orange side but it was listed as the same fish i see online which was more dark

I haven't seen much variety in colors of the standard false perculas. Of course they are not all the same though...Also, there's maroon clowns (self-explanatory), true perculas (have thicker black line, darker orange), snowflake clowns, mocha clowns (brown), black, etc. I think the snowflake clowns look awesome and it seems they have a tint of blue in the white.

bump
I want to add another peppermint shrimp in hopes that the pair will be more bold and eat my aiptasia, and also a skunk shrimp

i hear skunk shrimp have the same bioload as a small fish, any word on that? if so, i will have to reconsider

also, what about a firefish+clownfish? not at the same time but in the future, or a wrasse? i hear they are hostile though but youtube videos show otherwise

Clown and firefish are fine. I have them and have never seen them fight. Wouldn't add a wrasse though if you plan on having the clown and firefish. Not many small wrasses out there and the beautiful fairy wrasses should be in 55+ gallon tanks. You can have the clown, firefish, and the goby. Midas blenny should be in a larger tank and can get a little aggressive in my experience, and opinion. I think one more shrimp should be fine.

ok scratch wrasse, im not dumping my midas, i love him lol. If one day he outgrows my tank obviously ill give him away but for now hes here to stay because i think hes my favorite fish

i meant i would have a midas , ywm , clownfish AND firefish, since i hear they can live peacefully i was mainly concerned about bioload. Although i do know the midas and clown can be agressive, i forgot that i once read a midas might nip at firefish :( so i might scratch that idea too ..i guess there isnt many options except just to get 1 clownfish

Back
Top Bottom