Stupid lighting question =]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iDream

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all who decide to view this one lol =]

well to start off ill list off my "stats" equip, etc

Biocube 14, stock

livestock:
6 blue legs
6 turbos
1 blue/green chromis
1 firefish goby
1 neon blue goby
1 oscellaris clown (my list is overstocked for most but all my fish besides the firefish are less than an inch in length)

corals/LR
~12#s LR
small patch of "tridents" zoas (dont know the real name, named them after my LFS)
pom pom xenia (doing AMAZING, love it=])

after all the BS my question is (get ready for the facepalming) would removing my actinic bulb for another 10000K bulb increase my selection of corals? as in could i keep stronger light corals? i know right now im limited to softies and low lights, so i was just making sure. i know actinics support coral growth so i doubt id do it and the blue adds great color to my tank anyway.

after you facepalm and reply, could someone give me a nice site or place to check out how much a new lighting system would cost for my tank? im not buying anytime soon at all, but id just like to know so i can wish lol

if anything id like to keep the hood, but other options are welcome as long as its close-top since i have a jumper and i just dont personally like the look of open top

thanks for reading my rambling too btw =]

Putting in 10k bulbs instead of actinics would help increase your PAR a bit. You may be able to keep a few more coral but the colors of the coral won't stand out as much because you don't have the actinic. If i remember right actinic bulbs in general have somewhere between 60-70% ish PAR values of their 10K counterpart.

This site has all the best options for your tank to increase the lighting. There are some DIY options to if you wanted to try and go that way.

Nanotuners.com - Nanotuners.com

Like pat said, it would increase very slightly, but not enough to really step up a tier in what coral you can keep.
Nanotuners.com or nanocustoms.com its run by the same people, I can't figure out which one they are sticking with, one might be more up to date.

Honestly, a DIY LED option is the best option for nano users. They provide more intensity then MH and you can custom tune the white and blue balance. They also give off relatively no heat into the tank and can be modified into your stock hood. I just did it on my JBJ 12g, check out the link in my sig for pictures.

thanks guys, jimbo, was it difficult? i know LEDs arent cheap but my LFS had strips for around $50 each (id use 3, which is what he had, 2 white, 1 actinic) reflectors about $8 (get 3) and a power supply for i think he said $30 (only need 1 as it can power 6) and he was keeping clams on the bottom of a tank about the same depth as mine, a nano, so i know its strong

is that good pricing? like i mentioned before im not buying anytime soon, all my money is being saved except for gas right now

i heard LED lighting may be the future for nano world...big bang for a small buck, i dont know much on the subject of LEDs but im sure someone could fill you in. Theres also the VIPER clamp light, its a little pricey but for a tank that size would probably maximize the lighting in your tank. Check ebay

If you are a bit handy you can do it yourself. You will need some general tools like drill and soldering iron. You can put toget a really nice LED fixture for a resonable cost that way. Jimbo has a thread on how he did his in the signature. Read through that and them PM him. He will talk your ear off about them and can give you good places online to order the best LED stuff at most likely cheaper then your LFS is selling them for.

Back
Top Bottom