Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Question for seasoned reefers. My tank is fine. Am I expecting too much by trying to achieve pristine substrate? Or is it all too common to have a little bit of diatoms or other slight discoloration of sorts? I have a couple inches of aragonite as well as snails that keep it turned regularly. As I've already stated, everything else is good. Should I keep trying for perfection?

Ok. So I gather fm the lack of response that this is too tough or too trivial a question.

You can try to keep it nice and white but sometimes no matter what you do you get stuff growing on sand for a few days at a time. If you really want your sand turned over get a pistol shrimp mine has been digging like crazy since it hot her. Amazing little creature but if you like to have a level sand bed it isn't for you.

Funny you would say that. I actually have a pistol shrimp. Lol. The only time I saw it was when I put it in the tank. Haven't seen it since. I know its still in there cause I hear it every night. R they really known for churning up the sand? Interesting. Guess I need to read a bit more about them. Thanks

Over the 5-6 years I've been reefing my last tank before the 12g being a 200g w/ 75g sump I've found it almost impossible to keep the sand from being completely white and growth free constantly. What I do instead is just except it for what it is. And get some helpful critters to keep it turned up and clean on the inside. The 200g had a diamond goby, sand star and at least 20 nascarius snails. I've herd of the pistol shrimps turning up the sand through digging but usually it's just isolated to around their burrow. If you want a fish that constantly goes through the sand I would recommend a engineers goby or a diamond goby. And for inverts the naccarius snails are good but so are the sand stars.

I guess I'll accept it for what it is. Pretty, but not perfect. I'll only consider another fish if 1 of my 2 current Gobies go south for some reason. But the gobies u mentioned r interesting and worth further research. Thanks much

No problem. My favorite of the 2 is the engineers goby. Just because they're coloration is beautiful at adult size and they don't bug anyone in the tank. They just like to dig lol. They also do best in pairs but one is ok.

I'll keep that in mind. Never heard of em before. Im checking them out now. I like gobies. They all seem peaceful. But I only keep 1 watchman as well as 1 clown so there's no territorial problems. The clown likes higher vantage points while the watchman spends his time on the bottom

I've noticed that if you get a decent sized branching acro the clown goby will actually live in it.

And so it does. It can't decide which it likes better. My Palau Sinularia or the newly added Kenya Tree. So it splits its time between each. Watching over the tank like an eagle.

Your sand may not be perfectly white but maybe look at in from a different view. Neithers the oceans what you've got is just all manner of life down to the tiny creatures in the sand. Just a little Eco system
Not to useful just hoping that maybe if you looked at it from a different perspective you may change your mind on if it's perfect

I would say the only reason to vacuums the sand or take any off the top is to A) reduce nitrates in the sand if it a less than 3" bed and gets "old tank syndrome" or B) if you have cyano on your sand and want to rid it before it spreads to your rock.

Want a permanent solution?

Sand conch. 2 per 30 gallons...I had red cyano growing, never saw it again.

My buddie could never get rid of his algae growing on the sand bed, whole year he was sucking it up once a week. Sand conch solved it all. Idk of there eating it or just walkin all over it but it never grabbed ahold to anything ever again

Back
Top Bottom