Suggestions for mini reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Kay, so I have three tanks to choose from (one empty, the others have inhabitants which can be shuffled around). I want to start a nano reef tank, but only have itty bitty tanks available to use, so it's time to challenge myself and see what I can do! The tank choices are:

Fluval chi: 6 gallons, not really any way to put special lighting that I can think of so that might be an issue

Fluval Ebi: 8 gallon cube, gorgeous tank with an overhead lamp and flat glass cover which could house some kind of light fixture. Also has a little internal filter for "up to 20 gallons" with a spray bar, but it's just foam for media so I'm sure I'd have to switch it out for a better model.

fluval Spec: 5 gallon long, with an LED light fixture and filtration system with foam, bio max, carbon and room for other media of your choice, with a spray bar.

Sky's the limit for budgeting, and I'm in no rush to cycle, but I also have over a hundred gallons of other tanks from which I can borrow established water and filter media, and plenty of mollies I can use to do a with-fish cycle and gradual salinity adjustment.

So which tank should I use, what inhabitants would you suggest for such a small nano tank, and what are some tips for a successful marine tank?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance :)

I'd do a fishless cycle. The only fish you might get away with in that small of a tank is a clown goby.

You will want to do the main focus of your tank as coral.

Also in that small of a tank you will be doing daily top offs and checking all parameters every day. You'll probably be doing water changes every other day.

In any tank under 10 gallons the only fish that might work is a clown goby and only 1.

Also your gonna wanna cycle the tank using saltwater.

Make sure to use RODI water and get really good lighting for your coral. :)

Back
Top Bottom