suitable light for nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dvsfx

Aquarium Advice Activist
hello, I'm wondering what sort of light to use in my 10 gallon nano , my current fixture can only hold 1 15inch fluorescent bulb and the current bulb is a full spectrum about 16 watts. I know I am going to have to upgrade it too a 2 bulb fixture but I was wondering if There was a better bulb I could put in for the meantime , I just want to start adding a soft coral or two maybe a polyp or mushroom to start , is this possible? I do have a cylindrical MH ballast laying around , if I used that with my fluorescent would that work more efficiently ?

I don't believe you can change ballasts around like that they are usually pretty specific. Have you thought of a 70w mh 70W Metal Halide Pendant Lights ? You might need to hook up a fan so that it keeps your tank cool but I have a friend that has one over his 12 gallon and his coral are doing great. He likes the phoenix 20k bulb the best, to me it is a little bit to much blue.

joy13 said:
I don't believe you can change ballasts around like that they are usually pretty specific. Have you thought of a 70w mh 70W Metal Halide Pendant Lights ? You might need to hook up a fan so that it keeps your tank cool but I have a friend that has one over his 12 gallon and his coral are doing great. He likes the phoenix 20k bulb the best, to me it is a little bit to much blue.

Your right joy you can't just change a ballast to suit your lighting needs. There light/wattage specific.

oh that looks like a nice light but a little out of my budget atm, and I "wasn't" talking about switching ballasts I ment maybe use both lights the mh and the flourecent , but that would mean removing my tank cover unless I could hang the mh and direct the light diagonally in my tank but if corals are anything like land plant growth then all my corals would be growing diagonally aswel:/

I'm following this, I have been wondering the same thing. I have a 10 gallon as well, and would like to make it a nano-reef for my girlfriend, so it sounds like we are in the same boat.

haha yes brock I suppose we are :p
so as a follow up I have 1 fluorescent tube light and another light thats composed of 2 compact fluorescents , the tube is 120v 16 watts and the compact is 250v 660 watts. would this be a sufficient amount of output? and if so any recommendations as to what bulbs to put in each?

Have you thought of LEDs? Theyre sooo much cheaper and they last forever. Plus just a few can cover all of your lighting needs. I took the top off my biocube and replaced it with a peice of plexiglass, then put an LED light strip on top if it. It looks slick and clean. Everyone is switching over to LED...so worth it

Why not just run the mh itself, but if it was me I'll definitely pick up that 70 watt mh fixture you wont regret it if you do.

I had this Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting for awhile before I started adding SPS and in turn my lighting. Loved it. I don't use it now though I might again in the future if I ever do a smaller nano. IMO can't beat the $. Bulbs are not the greatest but if your only doing Softies/LPS in that tank it will be fine. I had this over a 44gal Corner Pentagon and had Hammer, Frogspawn, Fungia, and Platygyra all on the bottom 1/4 of tank, and even had some Monties up high and all did great.

Back
Top Bottom