Sump on a 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loukas42

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know I can get a HOB for a 20 gallon but I've also been thinking about a sump. Would it be worth it for this size tank?

IMO I think a sump is always worth it. It's easier to do wc and you can stick your heater there and even add a skimmer if you wanted too. I had one on my ten gallon nano reef.

if you have the space and $$ get a sump. :)

I would use like a 10g, not a whole lotta extra room for equipment but the water volume will be excellent.

I'm stuck using a 10g tank for a sump on my 60g setup due to size available and I figure i can "just" fit everything I need in it so you should be able to do the same.

That would be hard to fit like a skimmer in wouldn't it? I definitely have the space I feel like. And how much would a 10 gallon sump cost ?

The one I am making will fit certain skimmers, just have to be particular on which one. I will be making my own baffle for about $10, the cost of the tank was $10 and the filter sock and holder was $20. I'm using a BIG pump so it was $100 but you can use a much smaller and cheaper one. :)

Okay thanks so much for the input! What power head would you recommend for a 20 gallon? I'm buying things online right now as its cheaper than at my lfs!

I use 2 koralia 425's in my 20g and it's ok. The next sizr up is 550 but not sure if that would be too much flow.

nano ones are just smaller than the full size evolutions. It's up to you, 550's could be great, I would have bought them for my 20g if they had been available earlier last year. :)

Haha we are talkin about the same thing on two different threads. Go ahead an just stick to the other thread. Just to make it easier.

Yeah I love the idea of a sump. But have never done one before and feel like I would just mess it up.

Another option could be to add a "sump" to the inside of the aquarium. Not sure if they are sold in the US. Some companies over here in Asia make something sort of like what is in the Dymax IQ3 & 5s that is sold separately. It could help establish a bio filter for you as one option for you if you don't want to have a sump. I guess you don't need an external sump but the added benefits are nice.

For some reason I though you were doing a 10g. I just reread it's a 20g you are doing.

Anyways, I finally found the nice 10g with 5g sump setup. Do a search on "scottay". His thread titled Scott's DIY 10 gallon build is a good one.

I read it and it was a good thread but I have no clue about all the plumbing and all that. I don't understand that at all.

Hey guys, running a 10 gal rimless nano been set up for about 3 weeks. Interested in doing a small sump. What is required to set up the plumbing when the tank is already filled? Have a few frags and hermits/ snails in there currently.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom