Sun Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mjpendrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Again been thinking about my future SW nano 20 gal! Yet again I'm attracted to something that seems difficult just like I was with the mandarin, I have been researching and decided to keep a space for when my tank is well established and iv added a fuge. But back to topic iv seen the Sun Coral and it looks great I really want one, does anyone have one and how hard are they to feed and train to stay open in light?? I must have one lol!

I have one and to be honest, it's not doing well. I feed it whenever it opens but it's a struggle. I wanted the challenge but this one is a bit much. It was doing ok when I was feeding each polyp a piece of food but since I've tried to feed with an eyedropper it's gone down hill. :-( I'm still gona keep trying though.

it's a beautiful coral when it opens, which for me isnt very often. Not sure if its my tank, water, light or what but I'm not very happy with it not doing well. Kinda taking it personally....lol

Aww I'm sure you will do fine with it, they are stunning and i usually succeed in challenges but not to the extent of risking a coral or fish. Keep me updated on yours, you have a any pics? Do they only come in orange yellow colour?

I think a sun coral is one that should not be kept in captivity. It does not photosynthesize so there is no gain from the light And each polyp needs to be feed individually for it to survive. I have read that you can end up overfeeding your tank trying to keep it healthy.

I think a sun coral is one that should not be kept in captivity. It does not photosynthesize so there is no gain from the light And each polyp needs to be feed individually for it to survive. I have read that you can end up overfeeding your tank trying to keep it healthy.

At this point in my keeping one, I have to agree. :) It pollutes up the water so much easier than before, I have to constantly be on the watch for water parameters. Luckily its such a small tank pwc's arent a hassle but I dont' think i would recommend it to anyone.

There are SO many corals out there. Really. it's actually kinda scary to think how many choices there are, knowing you can't have one of everything LOL.

You'll find the perfect corals, you'll see. I'm a good example of getting things for the challenge and finding out its not such a good idea.

I was warned though, but not as thoroughly as we have here. I might have really had second thoughts had I read this thread. lol

What I would do is try and work your way up to Sps corals. They take dedication and a tank that is very stable. Alot of them are very colorful. I'm waiting a few more months to get my first Sps. I'm thinking a birds nest coral. So far I have some Lps like candycain,torch coral, and hammer coral.

small polyp and large polyp stony corals. :)

I have a 3 sps in my 125g so far and they are growing like weeds! My birdsnest was a couple short sticks when I got it and its huge in comparison to what it was.

Like it was said though, you have to be really on your parameters and keep them stable for them to thrive.
:)

You should get a dendrophilia it's pretty much like the sun coral but so much easier to take care of.

Attachments

• image-3964538008.jpg
    image-3964538008.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 319
carey said:
Thats really pretty. :) I've seen them online but wasnt ready to commit lol

Yea it is. And it stays open about 22 hours a day. I was feeding but not as much now and it's still doing real well. Was a little pricey but it was worth it.

Gotta put my 2 cents in. I also have a single Dendrophyllia and it's beautiful. Mine stays open as well. I feed it bits of raw shrimp and scallops. That way it doesn't pollute the tank. U need to train them to open during the day. Otherwise they're only open after lights out. It's easy to do. I even give mine a couple spectrum reef pellets occasionally. But only after they've soaked in water to soften them a little.

Mjpendrey said:
Again been thinking about my future SW nano 20 gal! Yet again I'm attracted to something that seems difficult just like I was with the mandarin, I have been researching and decided to keep a space for when my tank is well established and iv added a fuge. But back to topic iv seen the Sun Coral and it looks great I really want one, does anyone have one and how hard are they to feed and train to stay open in light?? I must have one lol!

I HAD an Orange one and a black one. I tried to feed them both and keep them healthy but wasn't successful. I tried for months and they slowly depleted. I went with a dendrophyllia instead. Still non photosynthetic but even cooler. Had mine now over a year and its huge. Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110802_122533.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110802_122533.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 207
  • ForumRunner_20110802_122625.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110802_122625.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 217
It's not a anemone is it? How do you and what do you feed them and still you have to train to stay put I'm day I'm believing? I can't find much info on these dendrophilia things??

They're not anemones, although people mistake them for anemones. They won't bother ur fish. They're nocturnal by nature. That's probably why people don't have much success with them. They're not feeding them when they're open at night. U train them by putting a tiny morsel on top of them when they're closed up. They get a taste and put a feeler out. U gradually increase the amount of food depending on how much they open and consume. I've done it this way and mine is growing and healthy. It's a very easy coral to care for if u just take a little time. It's pretty fascinating

Back
Top Bottom