Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sun Coral

Again been thinking about my future SW nano 20 gal! Yet again I'm attracted to something that seems difficult just like I was with the mandarin, I have been researching and decided to keep a space for when my tank is well established and iv added a fuge. But back to topic iv seen the Sun Coral and it looks great I really want one, does anyone have one and how hard are they to feed and train to stay open in light?? I must have one lol!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have one and to be honest, it's not doing well. I feed it whenever it opens but it's a struggle. I wanted the challenge but this one is a bit much. It was doing ok when I was feeding each polyp a piece of food but since I've tried to feed with an eyedropper it's gone down hill. :-( I'm still gona keep trying though.

it's a beautiful coral when it opens, which for me isnt very often. Not sure if its my tank, water, light or what but I'm not very happy with it not doing well. Kinda taking it personally....lol

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aww I'm sure you will do fine with it, they are stunning and i usually succeed in challenges but not to the extent of risking a coral or fish. Keep me updated on yours, you have a any pics? Do they only come in orange yellow colour?
Old 08-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've seen them in black as well

Tube Coral, Black
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think a sun coral is one that should not be kept in captivity. It does not photosynthesize so there is no gain from the light And each polyp needs to be feed individually for it to survive. I have read that you can end up overfeeding your tank trying to keep it healthy.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomchong22 View Post
I think a sun coral is one that should not be kept in captivity. It does not photosynthesize so there is no gain from the light And each polyp needs to be feed individually for it to survive. I have read that you can end up overfeeding your tank trying to keep it healthy.
At this point in my keeping one, I have to agree. It pollutes up the water so much easier than before, I have to constantly be on the watch for water parameters. Luckily its such a small tank pwc's arent a hassle but I dont' think i would recommend it to anyone.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gutted maybe I'll just put a laminated photo in my tank lol
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

There are SO many corals out there. Really. it's actually kinda scary to think how many choices there are, knowing you can't have one of everything LOL.

You'll find the perfect corals, you'll see. I'm a good example of getting things for the challenge and finding out its not such a good idea.

I was warned though, but not as thoroughly as we have here. I might have really had second thoughts had I read this thread. lol
Old 08-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I would do is try and work your way up to Sps corals. They take dedication and a tank that is very stable. Alot of them are very colorful. I'm waiting a few more months to get my first Sps. I'm thinking a birds nest coral. So far I have some Lps like candycain,torch coral, and hammer coral.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, new guy question... Sps? Lps?

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com