Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water param going wild, water quality, bad lfs advice, overstocking, overheating, and that is just of the top of my head. There's plenty more and if you were a beginning sw aquarist maybe start with a fowlr? Or maybe a mantis tank. I love em. But corals just win all together.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

But cant that all happen in a bigger tank too i would think things like flat worms and parasites, cyano and ha would all be harder to battle in a bigger tank where in my small tank nothing gets overlooked. So maybe things can go wrong either way?

Old 04-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

It canhappen but it's more controllable and easier to catch at the beginning.
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bad things just happen a lot FASTER in a nano. Every little thing you do affects everything in the tank. For something to cause a problem in a large tank, it has to be that many times worse to have the same effect. In a nano the smallest problem can have big effects in an instant. This is based on having had many of the problems, with my own impatience being the most common cause. Overstocking a nano tank is way too easy, and does not end well.
55 gallon reef tank. AquaticLife 4-bulb T5 HO with 4 LED moonlights. Reef Octopus BH-1000 HOB protein skimmer. TLF Phosban Reactor 150 running 400ml of NPX Bioplastics with a Maxi-Jet 1100 and a BRS Reactor running activated carbon with a Maxi-Jet 900. Vortech MP10w.
MBliss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

For a 10 gallon tank one clown fish is plenty. They are very messy eaters so their bio load would be higher than some other fish. Aggression is another concern with a 10 gallon there is no place for another fish to hide. You could always do a peppermint shrimp, emerald crab, hermit crab or even something like a decorator crab as long as you aren't going to have corals.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodrough
I am researching for a 10 gallon fowlr. I have kids so will start with a clown, of course. I would like a second fish, but I like ones that actually swim, not sit or perch. What could move around in the 10 gallon with the clown? Also, I need easy to find cost effective fish since I am just starting out. Thanks!
We have a chromis with a false percula clown in 10g. They swim together, but the chromis prefers a school. Maybe a cleaner shrimp would do them well? How about a small wrasse?

pumping xenia, ricordia, button polyps, green BTA
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gobi, gobies, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com